Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice for American coming to college/university in England. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am American (native to Boston, MA) and I have been accepted to go to college in England starting this coming Fall. I'm a little older than most college students because I have worked for four years to save money to pay for my course. My question is this: how easy is it to make friends in England? I am excited about starting college but I have to admit that I'm a little scared about having no friends. I've only ever left the US to go to cross-border to Canada so I do not really know how easy it is to make friends in England or how friendly the people there generally are. I guess I sound pretty stupid. But the idea of being a whole ocean away from home and not knowing anyone is kind of daunting. Any other advice about attending college in England would be appreciated a lot!!

Meredith.

ReputationRep:
    This may be a repetition of a generalised stereotype, but so far it's just borne out to be true about every American I'ver ever met.
    You guys are socially much more able than us Brits, you have a feel of easy confidence in the way you talk to people compared to our reserved socially uncertain natures. I am a bit of an awkward dweeb, and I made good close friends with people who in the States are considered awkward dweebs that aren't very good at talking to people - but they're still leagues ahead of truly awkward people here.

I think the chances are you will have nooo problems, just by saying 'hi' and starting conversations with people on your course and in your accommodation. Everyone else will be in a similar position to you, especially the foreign students but the home students too are likely away from home looking to make friends. Being American also will just naturally give you an interesting magnetism and mean people will be interested to talk to you. This is what I've noticed anyway.

Good luck, have fun and don't worry about it. : >

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mhenleyson)
    I am American (native to Boston, MA) and I have been accepted to go to college in England starting this coming Fall. I'm a little older than most college students because I have worked for four years to save money to pay for my course. My question is this: how easy is it to make friends in England? I am excited about starting college but I have to admit that I'm a little scared about having no friends. I've only ever left the US to go to cross-border to Canada so I do not really know how easy it is to make friends in England or how friendly the people there generally are. I guess I sound pretty stupid. But the idea of being a whole ocean away from home and not knowing anyone is kind of daunting. Any other advice about attending college in England would be appreciated a lot!!

Meredith.
    Hey

I'm sure that you'll make a lot of friends! I didn't think that I would, but its quite easy to do! Most people are really nice - well, those that I know anyhoo! If it reassures you in any way, there will be quite a few people who are in the same boat as you, so don't let it worry you.

I hope that this has helped, I'm sorry that it's short

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.