Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi all, I have some questions/need for help:

basically my literature teacher told us what books we were studying for our coursework (Great Gatsby and Wuthering Heights) but she also told us that we had the opportunity to pick our own novels/poems/plays if we wanted too.

Now, I'm not really a fan of either novel, and was planning to write about something relating to WW1/fantasy/dystopia - does anyone have an suggestions as to which novels/poems/plays I could use?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
    Hi all, I have some questions/need for help:

basically my literature teacher told us what books we were studying for our coursework (Great Gatsby and Wuthering Heights) but she also told us that we had the opportunity to pick our own novels/poems/plays if we wanted too.

Now, I'm not really a fan of either novel, and was planning to write about something relating to WW1/fantasy/dystopia - does anyone have an suggestions as to which novels/poems/plays I could use?
    I did WW1 for AS so I had to read MANY things for that. I can help you with that. Since this will be a period analysis, you could focus on contextual factors of WW1. Some major themes presented in WW1 Lit are: women and the home-front, man's inhumanity to man, futility/reality of war, Physical/mental/spiritual consequences, politics and patriotism.

Fantasy and Dystopia will be more of a genre based analysis. I have no idea about Fantasy sorry. But Dystopia is usually written about social antirealism. Texts of a dystopian nature is usually to critique society of the time. Which includes political, social and cultural tensions. So you can look at whatever you want to.

I could give you loads and loads and loads of combinations but that won't be any good. You should try and pick what focus you'd be interested in and then come back to this thread and I can recommend to text pairings based on your decision.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.