Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New wording agreed for Referendum (to help silly people).... Watch

ReputationRep:
    The question is basically shall we take £150K* from most middle income, middle class families from the entire UK or shall we have a lot of poles helping in Starbucks and doing the plumbing?

* (£15K loss from fall in FTSE backed pension plans, £50K loss of earning over two years (due to govt cut backs and lack of funding), £100K off average price of a house).

Total bill for leaving: £150K (average urban middle aged Contractor (from IT to plumnbing) with 2.5 kids and a mortgage).

ReputationRep:
    Makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    Makes sense
    Thanks - I was just adding it up the other day.

ReputationRep:
    It will be interesting to see voter breakdown.

My guess Britexit will come from out of touch elderly or the very poor.

The middle class will be a bit off their trolly to vote Britexit.

ReputationRep:
    Haha be careful when you bring up house prices. One of the very few things that would ever encourage me and my friends to vote for a brexit.

However i'll be voting remain, as will nearly all of my friends. No-doubt the unustainable growth in the housing sector will come back to haunt many people in the future and will explode with or without us leaving the EU.

I don't think that those necessarily voting for brexit will be the very poor or the out of touch. I mostly believe it will be individuals that have a strong sense of anger at the changing nature of the EU over many years, they place this blame on the EU whilst i place the blame on us not joining the ECSC when it was initially formed, and then good ole' De Gaulle (horrible-man) decided to keep us out of it when we attempted to join twice more.

In honesty both the remain and leave campaigns have been essentially mini-disasters due to a multitude of mistakes made by both sides. For instance remain have not been targeting the leave campagin's misinformation meaning that for those who are too busy working to provide for their families won't have time to double check their facts.

Meanwhile the leave campaign failed to use Nigel Farage as much as they should have, instead Gove and Johnson wanted all of the glorious spotlight on them for their leadership ambitions, and as a result snubbed one of the easily-most charismatic leave figures among them. I'm hoping that after all of the stupid things that have come out of Johnson's mouth that this campaign will destroy his prospects at PM. Unfortunately i have a nagging feeling that this Etonian individual will land on his feet.

Best regards to you! Sorry for the lengthy post.

Francis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Francis Urquhart)
    Haha be careful when you bring up house prices. One of the very few things that would ever encourage me and my friends to vote for a brexit.

However i'll be voting remain, as will nearly all of my friends. No-doubt the unustainable growth in the housing sector will come back to haunt many people in the future and will explode with or without us leaving the EU.

I don't think that those necessarily voting for brexit will be the very poor or the out of touch. I mostly believe it will be individuals that have a strong sense of anger at the changing nature of the EU over many years, they place this blame on the EU whilst i place the blame on us not joining the ECSC when it was initially formed, and then good ole' De Gaulle (horrible-man) decided to keep us out of it when we attempted to join twice more.

In honesty both the remain and leave campaigns have been essentially mini-disasters due to a multitude of mistakes made by both sides. For instance remain have not been targeting the leave campagin's misinformation meaning that for those who are too busy working to provide for their families won't have time to double check their facts.

Meanwhile the leave campaign failed to use Nigel Farage as much as they should have, instead Gove and Johnson wanted all of the glorious spotlight on them for their leadership ambitions, and as a result snubbed one of the easily-most charismatic leave figures among them. I'm hoping that after all of the stupid things that have come out of Johnson's mouth that this campaign will destroy his prospects at PM. Unfortunately i have a nagging feeling that this Etonian individual will land on his feet.

Best regards to you! Sorry for the lengthy post.

Francis
    If house prices did fall a lot after Brexit, the banks would be in big trouble because they would lose huge amounts of money and may even have to be bailed out again by the taxpayer.

The last thing they would do is lend more money to house buyers since they won't have any. The people that would benefit would be buy to rent people who have the cash and don't need mortgages and foreign buyers not affected by failing UK banks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    If house prices did fall a lot after Brexit, the banks would be in big trouble because they would lose huge amounts of money and may even have to be bailed out again by the taxpayer.

The last thing they would do is lend more money to house buyers since they won't have any. The people that would benefit would be buy to rent people who have the cash and don't need mortgages and foreign buyers not affected by failing UK banks.
    Hi Maker

Yep the banks would be, they're one of the people that have once again seen a resurgence in house prices without the capital being there to back them up.

And yes unfortunately the latter point is true, however they do need to drop and that is indeed undeniable. For heavy-savers/light-spenders like me i would actually have the tiniest chance of buying a one bedroom property, but yes for those without any capital at all the effects would be equally withering.

Best regards (and off to work, so all replies shall be in eight hours time )
    Francis.

ReputationRep:
    Aw look another Troll post, scaremongering rubbish at its best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebby491)
    Aw look another Troll post, scaremongering rubbish at its best.
    Heh, I'm seeing you all over these EU threads.

ReputationRep:
    100k off a house? Yes ****ing please!
    Protip: this is a student forum, not a middle-age rent mafia forum. We love the fact that houses will get cheaper because as it stands we will literally never afford one.

You've made a very strong argument to leave.

ReputationRep:
    I find it interesting that you are claiming a decrease in housing prices would be a bad thing.

Sure, the guy has lost 100k off his 3 bed, but that nice 5 bed up the street might have lost 200k off the price. Is he not potentially in a better situation given his money will go further? This is of course ignoring any ludicrous ideas about him selling his house and using all the money elsewhere on something that will not have changed in price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Protip: this is a student forum, not a middle-age rent mafia forum. We love the fact that houses will get cheaper because as it stands we will literally never afford one.

You've made a very strong argument to leave.
    Where are you going to get the money from to buy these cheap houses? The banks have just lost a huge amount of money and can't lend you any.

People who lost a lot of money on their house will stop spending because they are suddenly a lot poorer which means fewer jobs and more unemployment and very likely a recession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Where are you going to get the money from to buy these cheap houses? The banks have just lost a huge amount of money and can't lend you any.

People who lost a lot of money on their house will stop spending because they are suddenly a lot poorer which means fewer jobs and more unemployment and very likely a recession.
    Yep exactly.
    What often happens is:

once the family leave uni, the "big" family home is sold and the parents "down size" to the country or seaside.

The family are given a 10% deposit to help them buy their first flat/house (out of the proceeds of the sale).

If house prices collapse there will be a lot of old people who lose their pension (profits on sale of family house) and thus the deposits for the next generations accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnieGakusei)
    Heh, I'm seeing you all over these EU threads.
    haha that keeps happening to me seeing the same posters all over these threads, XD it's a small world lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Yes please indeed. But just out of curiosity, who is going to lend to you after a crash of that magnitude? We bought our first house just before the crash of 2008. Had we delayed by 6 months, we wouldn't have been able to buy for a further 3 - 4 years by which time prices had somewhat recovered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Yes please indeed. But just out of curiosity, who is going to lend to you after a crash of that magnitude? We bought our first house just before the crash of 2008. Had we delayed by 6 months, we wouldn't have been able to buy for a further 3 - 4 years by which time prices had somewhat recovered.
    I worked as an estate agent in the early 1990s just after the house price crash. Houses were cheaper but it was a lot harder to get a mortgage.

Also, a lot of sellers were still pricing their houses at pre crash prices and some wouldn't sell because they were in negative equity where their mortgage was more than the price of their house.

It seems counter intuitive that when house prices are low, its a lot harder to buy than when they are high.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.