Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Two forces of magnitude 6N and 5N act on a particle. The angle between the forces is 40 degrees. Find the magnitude and the direction of the resultant force.

I know you have to use the cosine rule, and in my workinh out I did a^2=b^2+c^2-2bcCosA where cosA is cos40, but the book has cos140 instead. How did they get this?

ReputationRep:
    Not too sure if this is right but whenever these Q's come up, the angle I always use is 180 - the stated angle or in this case 140.
    I do it because it always forms the correct triangle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Tyrion)
    Two forces of magnitude 6N and 5N act on a particle. The angle between the forces is 40 degrees. Find the magnitude and the direction of the resultant force.

I know you have to use the cosine rule, and in my workinh out I did a^2=b^2+c^2-2bcCosA where cosA is cos40, but the book has cos140 instead. How did they get this?
    Getting an answer of 2 degrees for the direction...

EDIT: 21.86 degrees. I miscalculated

ReputationRep:
    Is it because you didn't resolve the forces? Remember you have to form a triangle with the forces placed 'nose-to-tail' before you can solve properly. This might make the difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sensei_Stig)
    Is it because you didn't resolve the forces? Remember you have to form a triangle with the forces placed 'nose-to-tail' before you can solve properly. This might make the difference?
    Ah good someone knows the official term for my 180 - angle trick.

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome! :')

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.