Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The next two World Cup locations watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    After the issues that have reared their ugly head in both Russia & Qatar I find it even more ridiculous that these two countries are hosting the 2018 & 2022 World Cups respectively.

Russian fans at Euro 2016 -
    It seems like a significant portion of them of come to cause trouble rather than to watch the football.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36515213

(I know some of the England fans in France are little better than chavs but the majority aren't. & even the dark days of English hooliganism wasn't anything like this)

I don't see this this being any better in Russia especially with East-West tensions running fairly high. I understand the BBC can be somewhat biased but after watching Reggie Yates' Russia program I was somewhat shocked at the level of violence, racism & homophobia.

Qatar -
    A Dutch woman who was raped gets punished as well as rapist. Ermmm what? Who on earth thinks a law like this is a good idea?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36516006

I'm sure many fans, who actually bother to make the trip anyway, will be caught out but severity of Qatar's alcohol, intimacy & general attire laws from all countries. I suppose you could argue the heavy restrictions on alcohol might reduce some violence but that's generally a very very small majority - a lot of fans who have no desire to cause trouble will be caught out too.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...ws-and-customs

I'm not saying Qatar should necessarily change their laws for us; it's their country afterall. But nor do I think a country with such harsh restrictions be allowed to host the FIFA World Cup.

What are your views on this?
    Spoiler:
    Show

(I'm not fan of Islam or any religion for that matter but I think there's enough anti-Islam threads at the moment so if that could be avoided it'd be appreciated. I spent time in Bahrain & that by Middle Eastern standards is liberal - plenty of Muslims enjoy a drink too & homosexuality, though illegal, wasn't actually uncommon there. Qatar seems like it's on a whole other level in comparison)

ReputationRep:
    Neither should have been allowed to stand, especially after the turmoil at FIFA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Neither should have been allowed to stand, especially after the turmoil at FIFA.
    PRSOM.

Agreed. Those votes weren't exactly done fairly.

ReputationRep:
    Been done to death this tbh. Both a farce but I cannot think of a single good reason for a World Cup to go to Qatar.

It's wrong on every level. Forced labour, dates, stadiums, host cities etc. Staggering.

ReputationRep:
    Both are about as corrupt as FIFA...

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.