The Student Room Group

Initial A level selection

Fellow AS and A2 students, could you please guide me and criticise and give opinions on the course choices that I'm going to take for my A LEVELS:
-physics
-further maths
-maths
-chemistry.

Could you tell the major changes from gcse, and how does it go all the way through the end of the year

Also, about time management throughout the year, is it a important factor to your studies.

How long do u have to revise for each subject each week? How much do u spend and how much do u advise me to spend?

Thank you for participating on this thread.:smile::smile:
Original post by ARK_REVISES
Fellow AS and A2 students, could you please guide me and criticise and give opinions on the course choices that I'm going to take for my A LEVELS:
-physics
-further maths
-maths
-chemistry.

Could you tell the major changes from gcse, and how does it go all the way through the end of the year

Also, about time management throughout the year, is it a important factor to your studies.

How long do u have to revise for each subject each week? How much do u spend and how much do u advise me to spend?

Pretty strong choices, Im doing AS this coming year, so I don't know how time management will be, but it does look like you'll have your hands full.

Good luck!
-physics
-further maths
-maths
-chemistry.

Okay I'll start with maths. The content in maths isn't hard at all and if you get an A or an A* at GCSE then you won't much trouble. But i was getting 100% in my mocks all year (i got an A at GCSE), and i got a bit lazy lazy towards the end of the year and i probably got a B or a C. Past papers are crucial to succeeding AS Maths, but don't neglect just revising the key ppints on the spec. And when your doing questions don't do easy papers some challenging ones.
I revised about 4 hours on a saturday for maths.

I don't do any of the other subjects i did do further maths, but i dropped after a week, i got 12% my first paper. :biggrin:

And about allocating revision time. I go onto each spec split it down into about 20 topics and revise one a night. I revised too much too quickly and four weeks before the exam just gave up because i passion for my subjects, but luckily i did this and probably just scraped another 3 A's.

Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I do the same subjects at AS:tongue:
If you enjoy physics it's quite fun to do and doesn't feel like much work. Personally I do M1,M2 and S1 for applied modules in maths&further maths, there's a lot of overlap between mechanics modules and physics so you sort of get taught it twice, but get loads of practice in answering questions. I didn't find myself doing too much work throughout the year, just keeping up with homework and rewriting notes/reading revision guides up until april-may time when I started past papers.
Chemistry is a larger leap from gcse than the others, but it's still just an AS, mostly exam practice and application by the end of it, assuming you're good with remembering ideas/concepts.
FP1 I'd say is quite tough if you had just come from GCSE maths with no experience, I'd definitely have a look at it before you start the year and just get familiar with it as it assumes knowledge from C1&C2 which you won't have finished when you're learning.

If you enjoy the subjects, you could probably only spend a couple of hours each week reading over notes, doing questions from topics you're learning, just to consolidate everything for exam time, we started doing full papers in school around February so be prepared to start doing a lot of exam practice from then.
Original post by JN17
I do the same subjects at AS:tongue:
If you enjoy physics it's quite fun to do and doesn't feel like much work. Personally I do M1,M2 and S1 for applied modules in maths&further maths, there's a lot of overlap between mechanics modules and physics so you sort of get taught it twice, but get loads of practice in answering questions. I didn't find myself doing too much work throughout the year, just keeping up with homework and rewriting notes/reading revision guides up until april-may time when I started past papers.
Chemistry is a larger leap from gcse than the others, but it's still just an AS, mostly exam practice and application by the end of it, assuming you're good with remembering ideas/concepts.
FP1 I'd say is quite tough if you had just come from GCSE maths with no experience, I'd definitely have a look at it before you start the year and just get familiar with it as it assumes knowledge from C1&C2 which you won't have finished when you're learning.

If you enjoy the subjects, you could probably only spend a couple of hours each week reading over notes, doing questions from topics you're learning, just to consolidate everything for exam time, we started doing full papers in school around February so be prepared to start doing a lot of exam practice from then.

I still am not sure what fm is like but I juz want to do it because I love and enjoy maths and it's a helping hand for physics.

Good luck for your exams.
Original post by 34908seikj
Pretty strong choices, Im doing AS this coming year, so I don't know how time management will be, but it does look like you'll have your hands full.

Good luck!

What are you going to take.

Good luck in your exams too
What are you going to take.

Good luck in your exams too

Maths
Further maths
Computer science
Government and politics

Original post by Breynolds2671999
Okay I'll start with maths. The content in maths isn't hard at all and if you get an A or an A* at GCSE then you won't much trouble. But i was getting 100% in my mocks all year (i got an A at GCSE), and i got a bit lazy lazy towards the end of the year and i probably got a B or a C. Past papers are crucial to succeeding AS Maths, but don't neglect just revising the key ppints on the spec. And when your doing questions don't do easy papers some challenging ones.
I revised about 4 hours on a saturday for maths.

I don't do any of the other subjects i did do further maths, but i dropped after a week, i got 12% my first paper. :biggrin:

And about allocating revision time. I go onto each spec split it down into about 20 topics and revise one a night. I revised too much too quickly and four weeks before the exam just gave up because i passion for my subjects, but luckily i did this and probably just scraped another 3 A's.

Good luck.

Did you have free time when you were in college. For example, having 2 lessons in a day. One at the start of the morning and another at the end of the day, and so you should have loads of free time in the middle of the day. Didn't you use them?
Original post by 34908seikj
Maths
Further maths
Computer science
Government and politics

You do have strong choices too as you are doing computer science and the 2 maths at the same time, as you should know the D1/D2 components of maths link to computer science.

However, goverment and politics doesn't fit. And there is a higher workload. I advise you to do physics as would also satisfy your both maths too. But if you are good at science, then it's ok to choose.
You do have strong choices too as you are doing computer science and the 2 maths at the same time, as you should know the D1/D2 components of maths link to computer science.

However, goverment and politics doesn't fit. And there is a higher workload. I advise you to do physics as would also satisfy your both maths too. But if you are good at science, then it's ok to choose.

I used to really like physics; until I didn't. I'm pretty good at debating and writing essays etc, so I think I'll be able to handle the workload just fine when it comes to government and politics. On top of that it spreads out my options for university, as I have no desire to pursue physics, doing government and politics might allow me to study idk, politics? not just STEM subjects.

And Yes I'm really interested in the decision units, it's a type of math you don't experience at GCSE level, and like you said it'll link to computer science even more!

Did you have free time when you were in college. For example, having 2 lessons in a day. One at the start of the morning and another at the end of the day, and so you should have loads of free time in the middle of the day. Didn't you use them?

My frees are arranged in a really weird way so 3 days a week i come in at 1:30 and the other days i have no frees. So i study mostly at home.

Quick Reply

Latest