The Student Room Group

Maths year 11

Scroll to see replies

Just add the short explanation that you did the operation 4 times, so the shop closes at the end of the fifth month, aka the end of May. But yes, correct!

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1581
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
Just add the short explanation that you did the operation 4 times, so the shop closes at the end of the fifth month, aka the end of May. But yes, correct!

Spoiler

Thank youuu :smile:

Can you do an example on a simple percentage increase ans decrease

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Thank youuu :smile:

Can you do an example on a simple percentage increase ans decrease

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Dodgy Dan buys cars and sells them at 25% more. He buys a Prius at £26000. How much does he sell it for?

2. A carpet store sells a carpet for £20 per square meter. For their summer sale, they reduce all their prices by 20%.

(a) What is the cost per square meter of carpet during the sale?

(b) Natalie wants to buy 12 square meters of carpet. How much will she save by buying during the sale instead of buying at the normal price?

3. A car costs £20000 in January. Its price decreases by 15% each month. What is its cost in April?

4. A sale decreases all prices by 20%. During the sale, a coat costs £72. What was its original price, before the sale?

5*. James earns 80% compared to what his wife Rachel earns (for every £100 she earns, James earns only £80, and together combined they earn £180). If they both combined earn £20250 per year, how much does James earn per year?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1583
1. Dodgy Dan buys cars and sells them at 25% more. He buys a Prius at £26000. How much does he sell it for?

2. A carpet store sells a carpet for £20 per square meter. For their summer sale, they reduce all their prices by 20%.

(a) What is the cost per square meter of carpet during the sale?

(b) Natalie wants to buy 12 square meters of carpet. How much will she save by buying during the sale instead of buying at the normal price?

3. A car costs £20000 in January. Its price decreases by 15% each month. What is its cost in April?

4. A sale decreases all prices by 20%. During the sale, a coat costs £72. What was its original price, before the sale?

5*. James earns 80% compared to what his wife Rachel earns (for every £100 she earns, James earns only £80, and together combined they earn £180). If they both combined earn £20250 per year, how much does James earn per year?

So I do 100-25

Times that by the originals ans?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
So I do 100-25

Times that by the originals ans?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the first question, he sells them for 25% more, so there is a 25% increase in price.

100% + 25% = 125%

The multiplier is percentage100\dfrac{percentage}{100}.

In this case, that is 125100\frac{125}{100}, or 1.251.25
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1585
For the first question, he sells them for 25% more, so there is a 25% increase in price.

100% + 25% = 125%

The multiplier is percentage100\dfrac{percentage}{100}.

In this case, that is 125100\frac{125}{100}, or 1.251.25

Posted from TSR Mobile

1 is correct.

2(a) is correct. 2(b) asks for how much was saved, so you need the difference between the normal price for 12m^2 and the sale price. You've already calculated these two. You would have gained 2/3 marks for part (b).

3 is correct.

4 is not correct. During the sale, it costs £72. Also during the sale, all prices have been reduced by 20%.
This means that £72 is 80% of the jacket's normal price. The normal price has been reduced by 20% to give a sale price of £72. Or:

Normal price x multiplier = £72

Hence, normal price = £72/multiplier.

Find the multiplier for the 20% reduction, then find the normal price.
Original post by z_o_e
Heya, my end of year exam is coming up and I'm doing higher and I'm getting D's I'm currently in year 10 and I know I can do better if I revise. Is anyone else willing to help me with a few questions ?

In year 11 now.
Grade achieved end of year : C

I would but I got a f in maths sorry :frown:
Reply 1588
1 is correct.

2(a) is correct. 2(b) asks for how much was saved, so you need the difference between the normal price for 12m^2 and the sale price. You've already calculated these two. You would have gained 2/3 marks for part (b).

3 is correct.

4 is not correct. During the sale, it costs £72. Also during the sale, all prices have been reduced by 20%.
This means that £72 is 80% of the jacket's normal price. The normal price has been reduced by 20% to give a sale price of £72. Or:

Thank youuu

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1589
1 is correct.

3 is correct.

I don't get 4 tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
I don't get 4 tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have an item which costs, lets say, £PP before the sale. The sale is 20%, and the item decreases to the price of £72.

A full price is 100%, so a 20% decrease would bring it down to 80%. 80% as a decimal is 0.8.

So we know that 80% of PP is equal to 72.

Simply construct an equation to solve for P: P0.8=72P \cdot 0.8 = 72
Reply 1591
Original post by RDKGames
You have an item which costs, lets say, £PP before the sale. The sale is 20%, and the item decreases to the price of £72.

A full price is 100%, so a 20% decrease would bring it down to 80%. 80% as a decimal is 0.8.

So we know that 80% of PP is equal to 72.

Simply construct an equation to solve for P: P0.8=72P \cdot 0.8 = 72

How do I do these...

No answers please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
How do I do these...

No answers please

Posted from TSR Mobile

You got the first one right, and the second one is essentially the same idea but you have 2 variables.

What is the expression for p boxes of 10 pencils? What is the expression for r boxes of 12 pencils? What is the total amount of pencils in terms of p and r?
Reply 1593
You got the first one right, and the second one is essentially the same idea but you have 2 variables.

What is the expression for p boxes of 10 pencils? What is the expression for r boxes of 12 pencils? What is the total amount of pencils in terms of p and r?

P+R

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1594

Also Is this correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. If I buy 2 boxes of 10 pencils, and 1 box of 12 pencils, will I really have only 3 pencils in total???

Original post by z_o_e
Also Is this correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

First one is fine, but the second one doesn't follow the pattern because (29)+(8)13(-29)+(-8)\not=13

Better start off by saying c+34=55c+34=55 and c will be your 3rd box.

Then say b+c=34b+c=34 where b is your second box.

And finally the last box would satisfy a+b=ca+b=c where a is your first box.
Original post by z_o_e
Heya, my end of year exam is coming up and I'm doing higher and I'm getting D's I'm currently in year 10 and I know I can do better if I revise. Is anyone else willing to help me with a few questions ?

In year 11 now.
Grade achieved end of year : C

I cannot STRESS this enough... but PAST PAPERS are SO SO important for maths! Do EVERY SINGLE ONE! (even the old spec for you guys). What grade do you want to achieve in your final exam?:smile:
Reply 1597
Original post by sunshine774
I cannot STRESS this enough... but PAST PAPERS are SO SO important for maths! Do EVERY SINGLE ONE! (even the old spec for you guys). What grade do you want to achieve in your final exam?:smile:

Level 6 or 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

So is that grade A or grade B? I did the old spec last year so not sure...
Reply 1599
Original post by sunshine774
So is that grade A or grade B? I did the old spec last year so not sure...

High B.

What grade did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest