Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do many Unis in England would allow chinchillas? Im looking into getting one, and they live up to 25 years (so i will have it when i apply for uni) so do you guys know universities that would allow one?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by i360faceplant)
    Do many Unis in England would allow chinchillas? Im looking into getting one, and they live up to 25 years (so i will have it when i apply for uni) so do you guys know universities that would allow one?
    Halls don't allow pets for the most part should I wouldn't get a chinchilla.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by i360faceplant)
    no halls I know allow pets, and most rented accommodation will not either. best idea is save this idea for after uni when your more settled.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get a chinchilla until after university. It's just so not fair on the animal and not at all responsible

I don't know of any university halls and accommodations that allow animals, and every house share I have been in the contracts have all specifically stated no pets allowed.

You don't know if your flatmates will be okay with it or not or if they're allergic, so irresponsible and selfish to bring one regardless.

Chinchillas get easily stressed, a student halls/ accommodation is not a suitable place for it. They're loud, busy and full of people having parties. This WILL stress the animal out.

You'll be moving several times over the next few ears with uni, it's not fair to put an animal through this.

Wait til after uni.

ReputationRep:
    I agree no university halls allow pets for many different reasons and very few student lets allow pets for different reasons (one exception seems to be fish in house shares) .

But yeah you'll just stress the animal and it'll die in a few years instead of the expected 25. wait until after uni.

ReputationRep:
    Halls don't let you have pets mainly but there's nothing stopping you risking sneaking one in (although I wouldn't advise it)

ReputationRep:
    I had a Burmese Tiger in halls (kept it under me bed) :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    I can only reiterate what everyone else has said. No halls and most rented accommodation will not allow pets. Not to mention you will likely be sharing any rented accommodation with 2-7 people, and finding that number of people who fancy living with your chinchilla would be difficult even if you could get the landlord's blessing.

It's all around just a terrible idea, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it. Aside from the fact no student halls or let will allow it it's not fair on flatmates who might have to listen to it running around at night or could be allergic, it's going to be expensive to provide proper care/vet treatment/food, halls are really noisy and chaotic so not the ideal place for an animal and tbh anyone who gets a long term pet when they know their life is going to change a lot in the near future is very irresponsible, it's not fair to get an animal knowing you're going to be repeatedly moving and stressing it out.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get a pet, it isn't fair on the animal. Unfortunately, not all people you live with will like animals and you don't know what they'll do when you're not around. A friend of mine had a guinea pig in her shared home, went home for a family funeral and while she was away (2 days) her housemates gave her guinea pig away because they didn't want to look after it.

ReputationRep:
    is it bad that i thought you meant the coat?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.