Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    M393 – Flood Defences Motion 2016, TSR Labour Party
    This House believes that the Government should invest more money in flood defences.

In recent weeks, France and Germany have been hit badly by flooding. Defences along the Seine and Rhine simply could not cope with the amount of rainfall and were inadequate. Fortunately, we did not experience the same levels of rainfall but if we did, we too could have experienced severe flooding problems.

Flooding on the Somerset Levels of 2013-14 highlighted the devastating effects that can arise when the defences in place are substandard. Some money has already been invested in improving flood defences around the country but this is nowhere near enough to protect all the vulnerable settlements that are located near bodies of water. In addition to this, some of the money that has been set aside is wasted due to a lack of knowledge of how flooding occurs.

Some of the main flood defences that would be installed are embankments, flood walls, river straightening and afforestation. Some of these have multiple uses. For example, embankments can be used to prevent people from falling in the river and afforestation can create habitats for wildlife.

Our country has had the five wettest years since 2000. Despite this, the Environment Agency's funding for maintaining flood defences has been cut by 14%. Annual flood and storm damage costs are approximately £1.1bn but this figure will continue to rise if new defences aren't installed. The amount of households at significant risk of flood damage will rise from 330,000 now to 570,000 in 2035. In addition to this, a 10-60% increase in extreme rainfall could lead to a quadrupling of flooding in urban areas.

New and improved flood defences could cost in the region of £100 - 150 million. The Environment Agency has said that for every £1 spent on flood defences, you save up to £8 in the future. Using the flood protection scheme in Wokingham, a standard flood defence operation, we can estimate the economic benefit that new flood defences across the country would bring. For the Wokingham project, £3.5 million was invested and it is predicted that it will payback £14 million in the long-run.
    However, flood defences should only be installed in areas where the financial cost of the land and industries located there exceeds the cost of defences. The Environment Agency would identify the pockets of land that are in need of defences the most and the money would be invested into protecting those areas.

If we are to prevent, or at least significantly reduce the risk of flooding, it is imperative that the Government invests more money in flood defences and ensures it spends the money wisely.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Umm, 50m was invested last term...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    TSR labour have a short memory, and seem to think things can be built immediately, not to mention that much like Mr Man they know better than the environment agency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I could be persuaded to support both side, but the motion should include calls to start dredging rivers to allow rivers to cope with more water.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I could be persuaded to support both side, but the motion should include calls to start dredging rivers to allow rivers to cope with more water.
    Making rivers run faster is questionably usefu

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Making rivers run faster is questionably usefu

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I remember reading an article against dredging, but I believe deepening rivers, straightening rivers to cut out natural kinks, and using underground pipes to take water from the rivers to the coast more quickly will help cope with more water.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I remember reading an article against dredging, but I believe deepening rivers, straightening rivers to cut out natural kinks, and using underground pipes to take water from the rivers to the coast more quickly will help cope with more water.
    Which would be more expensive

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Which would be more expensive

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, it would be expensive but in areas of high property values, or where there are transport routes that cannot be flooded the expense can be justified.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes, it would be expensive but in areas of high property values, or where there are transport routes that cannot be flooded the expense can be justified.
    Of which there are few not otherwise protected

Once again i come back round to the whole "why does Labour always seem to know better than the environment agency?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Of which there are few not otherwise protected

Once again i come back round to the whole "why does Labour always seem to know better than the environment agency?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is a fair criticism, Labour knows better than the banks, the tax advisers, the economists, the environment agency, the workers, and all other qualified groups in society who have a different view. On this motion, there is an argument to be made that the Environment Agency is not doing the needed work to prevent flooding because its budget has been cut.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That is a fair criticism, Labour knows better than the banks, the tax advisers, the economists, the environment agency, the workers, and all other qualified groups in society who have a different view. On this motion, there is an argument to be made that the Environment Agency is not doing the needed work to prevent flooding because its budget has been cut.
    It also says how much money is needed for optimal flood defence spending, Labour last term asserted their analysis wrong because it is, and they're doing so again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye .... More money should be Invested in flood prevention and of course defences ... Unsure of the figures however if they can provide sources then that would be great
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Aye .... More money should be Invested in flood prevention and of course defences ... Unsure of the figures however if they can provide sources then that would be great
    The last government already caused over investment, it's just typical labour, throw money at something say "look, we're helping"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest, I was unaware of the changes made by the previous government. I suggest this motion be withdrawn.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I'll be honest, I was unaware of the changes made by the previous government. I suggest this motion be withdrawn.
    Twas rather early on, but one would hope that the party that put it forwards would remember it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Since TSR MHoC is legally bound to stay in the EU at the moment, let's make our time with the EU worthwhile. I urge the Government to build huge flood barriers, and make the EU pay for it! They take so much of our money. It is time they pay us back!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Here are the main sources I used. There were a few more though and I will try to find them later.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...g-cuts-warning
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...flood-defences
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This motion is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This motion has been withdrawn.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.