Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

There is something special about Italy at International tournaments Watch

ReputationRep:
    When they win big matches, they make you feel things that have never been felt before.

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    They have such an elite mentality tbh. Doesn't matter what team they put out, you just know they'll turn up

Same as zee Germans

ReputationRep:
    Tactically they are beautiful, so well put together. I said it many times here before that I love their defensive football. We try to play a variation of their dual 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 system but we are just not defensively disciplined enough (with Dier being the 3rd defensive player and the wingbacks going up and down).

If you have watched football for many years , you see how exciting their style is. It's stubborn in defensive formations and last ditch tackles which aren't born from luck but from hours on the training punch. On the other side you see their lightning quick counters and surprise attacks. That is the Italian way, to counter punch with great clinical ability.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Their finest moment was that 2-0 victory over Germany in 2006. What an unreal performance.

They are just the complete antithesis of England. A true tournament team.

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic display tonight - best performance of the competition so far. I must say, before the match I was voicing my concern with the midfield and attack of Italy, especially without Verratti and Marchisio, but they completely bossed it. That was a real team performance; all hands to the pump; masterplan by Conte. Belgium just seem like a complete fraud; England-like. I think they underestimated Italy tonight, and they did not use the space behind the defence or the flanks anywhere near enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    Fantastic display tonight - best performance of the competition so far. I must say, before the match I was voicing my concern with the midfield and attack of Italy, especially without Verratti and Marchisio, but they completely bossed it. That was a real team performance; all hands to the pump; masterplan by Conte. Belgium just seem like a complete fraud; England-like. I think they underestimated Italy tonight, and they did not use the space behind the defence or the flanks anywhere near enough.
    Belgium are very similar to us in the sense that they have a lot of big names, but they are not very well tactically set up and they don't play well as a team. It's those fine margins which win and lose you games in these big tournaments.

Also, Russia's defence was way understated in the media, they have so much Champions League experience between them whereas our attack has not really.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Loved Conte getting in amongst it during the celebrations. I'm going to quite like him being in the PL, you know.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Belgium's first 11 prepared for this game by playing against a 3-5-2 formation in a practice game, they lost 4-0.

Conte's intensity on the sidelines is Simeone-esque without the crowd cheer leading and for a tournament like the Euros, that could easily take them very far in the tournament.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I've got to be honest, Italy came nowhere near to impressing me today. But I've lambasted their strikeforce before - but Eder proved me wrong. It was a good assist from Zaza, and despite the Swedish defence parting like the red sea, he took the goal really well.

ReputationRep:
    Conte has said he will rest his team in the next game as they have qualified. Could be very good news for Ireland. They have little motivation to win the group as the runner-up plays the winner of Portugal's poor group. The winner plays Czech or Croatia.

ReputationRep:
    Conte has said he will rest his team in the next game as they have qualified. Could be very good news for Ireland. They have little motivation to win the group as the runner-up plays the winner of Portugal's poor group. The winner plays Czech or Croatia.
    Plus England in the quarters rather than Germany

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    That's a bad thing

#Vardy

#GOATdy
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    When you think about it, Italy are actually better off losing. If they win their group they'll most likely end up with Croatia or Spain, which will be a difficult game either way, whereas if they finished 2nd they'd smash anyone from Group F.

ReputationRep:
    Destroyed Spain without Candreva FFS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    O rly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayn is Bae)
    O rly
    talking about the most likely outcome!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    talking about the most likely outcome!!
    Then you should've added in a probably you amateur

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.