Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So basically what happened was that yesterday I accidentally dropped my iPhone 5s in this bucket of water. I instantly pulled it out (took me some 5 seconds) and tried turning it off but the touch screen stopped working. The battery was pretty low anyways (below 10%) so I placed it in a box of rice for 6 hours. Then I took it out and plugged in the charged and the itunes and usb cable started appearing and after about 15 minutes the iPhone turned on and was working fine except that it wasnt getting charged (initially it got charged when the whole itunes and usb cable thing was appearing. Only when the iPhone turned on did it stopped charging) and also that the lock button was not working anymore. So I placed it in the rice box again overnight and after 17 hours, I removed it and the same thing happened. The itunes and the USB cable thing appeared, the iPhone turned on after a few minutes and everything was working (including the touch screen) except for the lock button and the whole charging thing. So I'm really worried. Ive placed it back in the rice box and I guess I'll leave it in there for a long time (36 hours maybe?) and then see. I was wondering if anyone of you have been through this and have any idea as to how to fix it?! I'm trying to fix this myself without taking it to the shop unless I really have to.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    The rice thing never works, best thing is to take it to the shop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    The rice thing never works, best thing is to take it to the shop.
    (Hello there!) How can you say that?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Noara)
    You sound like you just got offended.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Noara)
    Because there's no actual evidence it restores water damage, if a phone is so damaged, it needs repairing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    You sound like you just got offended.
    Hahaha not really. She's actually a very close friend and there's no way in a million years I'd get offended over something telling the truth (maybe) . I'm just worried to death and that's it!

ReputationRep:
    Because there's no actual evidence it restores water damage, if a phone is so damaged, it needs repairing.
    It is said to absorb water! But let's see.. until I figure something else out, I will have to stick to this!

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't have turned it on. Rice can work but not if the damage is already done.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Noara)
    It is said to absorb water! But let's see.. until I figure something else out, I will have to stick to this!
    Trust me, it never works unless there is minimal water damage. This is kind of why I hate iPhones as you can't take out the battery or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    You shouldn't have turned it on. Rice can work but not if the damage is already done.
    I know! But that's in the past. I can't really go back in time and change it all. I'm trying to focus a bit more on the present.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, it never works unless there is minimal water damage. This is kind of why I hate iPhones as you can't take out the battery or anything.
    ugh. So that means that I WILL have to take it to the repair shop!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Noara)
    ugh. So that means that I WILL have to take it to the repair shop!
    I'd recommend it, before it gets worse and even more expensive

ReputationRep:
    Is there no way you can take it to a shop? I've always seen shops say if its been water damaged bring it in ASAP and they have a better chance of fixing it but if not, you could always try fix it yourself if you're not too worried about fixing electronics (YouTube is a friend)
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Noara)
    http://www.imore.com/have-liquid-dam...-shouldt-do-it

take it to the shop asap. what was in the water? just water?

ReputationRep:
    I prefer oats rather than rice, as they are more absorbant, but the issue is that if the water has got in , then it has to also find its way out and as you can't open the case then it can be difficult to ensure that has happened.
    But either way it sounds as if it will need a repair or insurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aerobatt)
    Is there no way you can take it to a shop? I've always seen shops say if its been water damaged bring it in ASAP and they have a better chance of fixing it but if not, you could always try fix it yourself if you're not too worried about fixing electronics (YouTube is a friend)
    Well, I'm going to try my best to get it checked today. I was trying to get it sorted out by myself but it doesn't seems to work. I've placed my iPhone near a window as its very hot here (where I live haha) and that might be of some help maybe?
    But I will, for sure get it checked today because I don't want the whole corrosion thing to happen. This is a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    http://www.imore.com/have-liquid-dam...-shouldt-do-it

take it to the shop asap. what was in the water? just water?
    Yes, it was just water only! Nothing else haha
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Noara)
    Yes, it was just water only! Nothing else haha
    At least the shop cna open it up and see. Find a reputable one.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/categories/phone_repair

Get quotes, so you know the going rate.

You might wnat to take your sim out to avoid them losing it.

Dont turn things back on.

ReputationRep:
    I dropped my phone in a bowl of washing up water a month ago luckily the battery etc is removable so had it dried out within half an hour, but it took 2 days before the headphone output started working properly again :cute:

In your situation, if you haven't already, the repair shop is the way to go :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if anyone has said so yet, but I'm afraid apple warranty doesn't cover water damage.. be careful not to try and dry it out too quickly otherwise you can damage the insides of the phone. leave in a bowl of rice then on the side for a while , then turn it back on and see how it goes . assuming you don't have insurance on it?
    I hope it works again for you! I'd hate to be without my phone

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.