Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

1 hour 30 average commute (total) to save £2000, is it worth it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm waiting to hear if I got into my post grad uni, It is different uni from my undergraduate degree so I wouldn't know anyone on the campus.

One of the people I live with currently is staying nearby and I would be able to stay with him for the year, I would be looking at 45 minutes each way and saving around £2000 in the process (This is inclusive of travel costs)

Does the commute impact post grad more then it would on undergraduate courses? During my undergrad times I have been pretty close to the uni so haven't experienced having to travel.

Social wise I don't really like nights out more of a day person. My contact with the uni tells me they normally have lectures 3 days a week.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAmazingA)
    So I'm waiting to hear if I got into my post grad uni, It is different uni from my undergraduate degree so I wouldn't know anyone on the campus.

One of the people I live with currently is staying nearby and I would be able to stay with him for the year, I would be looking at 45 minutes each way and saving around £2000 in the process (This is inclusive of travel costs)

Does the commute impact post grad more then it would on undergraduate courses? During my undergrad times I have been pretty close to the uni so haven't experienced having to travel.

Social wise I don't really like nights out more of a day person. My contact with the uni tells me they normally have lectures 3 days a week.

Cheers
    It really depends on the type of student you are, as well as how good the electronic resources/access are. If everything is online, and you can study easily at home, I'd say try it. If you are 100% dependent on a library/physical access to stacks, living far away might not be worth it if you commute in on other days to use resources on campus.

Something else to think about is those 3 days of lectures. What time are they? Is transportation readily available to get to campus, and leave campus? Saving costs is one thing, but if it is an inefficient use of time, it might not be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    If the only commitment you have is doing the degree then the commute is entirely possible. Just be sure to find out how many days per week you have to be in uni for in order that you can make an informed decision.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.