Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is anyone currently an au pair, or has previously been one? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in going to France for a few years before going to uni, and being an au pair, I was just wondering if any of you are doing it or have done it. If so, what was your experience like and would you recommend it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marihist)
    I'm interested in going to France for a few years before going to uni, and being an au pair, I was just wondering if any of you are doing it or have done it. If so, what was your experience like and would you recommend it?
    I was one for this year but not in a different country. I was quite well paid actually (£12 an hour) and it was good fun cus my kids were 3 and 5 so lots of fun to play with. It was also hugely tiring cus you get very little down time and kids are constantly needing attention- genuinely you look away for a second and theyve ran off. If you looking to do it to better your langiage skills I have had friends who have said it really helped (be warned kids fav question is "what does that word mean" so you have to be able to explain a word without using the word- hardest thing ever!) Overall I would recommend it- I'm rich for uni, know how to look after kids which will be useful if I have my own in the future and had a lot of fun. Social wise its not great so if youre looking for a gap year job to meet people I would recommend a ski season or working in a shop with a young environment cus there were many times this year that i felt cut off from social things as days off on weekend nights werent common for me.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.