Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I will be doing IB next year and I need help with the selections of my courses with Math. I have currently selected standard maths for my subject however, my teacher is advising me to take studies as I am struggling with the subject.

I am not naturally gifted with math and I only do get passing marks. As well as that the teacher I had this year has not helped myself with improving my struggles in the subject.

I am interested in taking a course in either medicine or dentistry and will be applying in Australia. I want to keep my options open but as of now I think I will need to join the studies course. I am really worried because this might decrease my options of joining a good university.

Please Help Me!! :confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AES2)
    Hi,

I will be doing IB next year and I need help with the selections of my courses with Math. I have currently selected standard maths for my subject however, my teacher is advising me to take studies as I am struggling with the subject.

I am not naturally gifted with math and I only do get passing marks. As well as that the teacher I had this year has not helped myself with improving my struggles in the subject.

I am interested in taking a course in either medicine or dentistry and will be applying in Australia. I want to keep my options open but as of now I think I will need to join the studies course. I am really worried because this might decrease my options of joining a good university.

Please Help Me!! :confused::confused:
    If you want to go into science, you have to be in Maths SL; that's just a fact. I really struggle with maths as well, and I ended up doing studies cause I knew I wanted to go into the arts. If you're set on the sciences, I'd say believe in yourself, don't give up! Get some outside help like a tutor or something so that your maths SL life will be made easier!

If you don't take maths SL, you will not meet the entry requirements for the majority of universities that offer the courses you're interested in. If you have somewhere specific in mind, you could email the university directly and ask about their maths requirements. If you do end up taking studies, it will effect the courses you're able to get into, but that doesn't mean a great school is out of the question! You could get into oxbridge with math studies for an arts degree.

In addition, if you're open to uni in Canada, there's the possibility to go into a bachelor of arts with math studies, and then switch into the courses you want, getting around the math SL requirement... at least I think that's the case... look into that.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.