Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I am an international student from Nigeria and have just completed my LLB at Middlesex University London.Due to visa issues, I am confused as to what to do next. DO we start looking for training contracts before or during the lpc?
    and would anyone advise on being international and doing the BPTC with no mini pupillage.

ReputationRep:
    You're allowed to apply for training contracts from your penultimate year if i remember correctly so indeed you can apply for TCs and most firms (i think) will allow you to apply for vacation schemes.

Doing the LPC with no training contract is a risk because it could be a while before you land a TC and most city firms will fund the LPC for you. Also please don't fall for the marketing of LPC providers, the number the students applying every year is growing rapidly whilst the number of training contracts is not growing as quick, so many capable candidates like you will potentially need to be patient, maybe even for 2-3 application cycles.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    You were definitely meant to secure a training contract before the LPC, during your LLB. That way you'll often get the LPC funded for you. If you do the LPC without a training contract to go into then you'll have potentially wasted your time.

And I'm sure I don't have to tell your how competitive getting pupillages is. Mini pupillages can help tremendously with securing a full pupillage. I would imagine that you'll really be disadvantaged if you haven't networked with anyone during your LLB through mini pupillages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutta)
    You're allowed to apply for training contracts from your penultimate year if i remember correctly so indeed you can apply for TCs and most firms (i think) will allow you to apply for vacation schemes.

Doing the LPC with no training contract is a risk because it could be a while before you land a TC and most city firms will fund the LPC for you. Also please don't fall for the marketing of LPC providers, the number the students applying every year is growing rapidly whilst the number of training contracts is not growing as quick, so many capable candidates like you will potentially need to be patient, maybe even for 2-3 application cycles.

Good Luck
    Heya, thanks alot
    Alright I was not sure as a few people told me that we only apply for a TC after starting our LPC. I do not mind waiting for one, and will keep trying. My only issue is that my student visa expires in November and if i do the LPC, i will only have a short period of time to look for a TC before my visa expires again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    You were definitely meant to secure a training contract before the LPC, during your LLB. That way you'll often get the LPC funded for you. If you do the LPC without a training contract to go into then you'll have potentially wasted your time.

And I'm sure I don't have to tell your how competitive getting pupillages is. Mini pupillages can help tremendously with securing a full pupillage. I would imagine that you'll really be disadvantaged if you haven't networked with anyone during your LLB through mini pupillages.

Thats what i Thought but at a National Pupillage Fair I was advised that I would only get a TC or a Pupilage after doing the LPC or the BPTC and could not apply before.

I have networked but just was not lucky enough to actually get the mini pupillage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.