The Student Room Group

Graduation stops me participating in international work after university?

Hello,

I'm currently a first year student studying American Literature at university, and I hope to work in America the summer after I finish my degree. The only problem is that programmes such as Americamp, etc. all start in June whilst I just found out that my university holds their graduation ceremony in July.

Since it seems likely that people would want to travel during the summer after finishing their studies this seems pretty ridiculous to me and I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice? Especially since I would rather travel than go to the ceremony, but I know my family would want to see me at the event.

Can anyone let me know of any placement sites I may not know about, or maybe offer some advice about what to do when the time comes?

Thanks.
Why don't you go at the end of your second year instead?
You could obviously skip your graduation ceremony and have the certificate sent home but think it through carefully. Your graduation ceremony can't be postponed and, considering you have the option to travel at another time (provided you have the funds) I'd personally advice against skipping it.

Just my 2 cents on this :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
My university offers another graduation in november for those who had to retake or whatever else. I'd say go to the graduation but that's only because it'll be my last chance to see a lot of people I love at uni
Original post by satinahall
Hello,

I'm currently a first year student studying American Literature at university, and I hope to work in America the summer after I finish my degree. The only problem is that programmes such as Americamp, etc. all start in June whilst I just found out that my university holds their graduation ceremony in July.

Since it seems likely that people would want to travel during the summer after finishing their studies this seems pretty ridiculous to me and I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice? Especially since I would rather travel than go to the ceremony, but I know my family would want to see me at the event.

Can anyone let me know of any placement sites I may not know about, or maybe offer some advice about what to do when the time comes?

Thanks.

Many universities including my old uni have graduation in the summer, it makes sense as its just after results are confirmed and when the weather is likely to be better. A friend of mine who did have her ceremony in January said she wished hers was in Summer because it was cold and wet. As others have said you can do Camp America e.c.t end of second or (if its a four year course) end of third year. You also don't have to travel on an organised programme- quite a few people I know have just done their own thing.

Quick Reply