Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

what should I do with my life? Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    When I was a kid I always wanted to be in the army. However I got diagnosed with mild hemophilia at age 12 and so that dream was shattered.

I thought "hey, well, nevermind I'll train to be a police officer", I mean it's helping people and helps make the world a better place. That's something that's important to me. I got my master's related to police work.

When I was 18 I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression, which I'd had a few years but never saw a doctor about. The next few years were terrible, I saw so many doctors, took so many pills, tried talk therapy, mindfulness, watching my food, exercising a lot more but nothing helped. After a few different diagnoses my psychiatrist settled on paranoid schizophrenia. I feel like my world has been torn apart, I completely lost my direction.

After the depression/schizophrenia I knew I wouldn't be allowed in the police (they have guns where I live) so I decided to start again and get a degree in nursing. I really looked forward to it, though in my first semester I failed a module and just scraped through another. I feel so incredibly useless; I'm doing the failed module now and I know I'm going to fail again, I keep trying to put the effort in but my concentration and memory are both awful (SZ can cause that), I know it's useless and I'm actually crying right now as I've ****ed up any chance of being a nurse.

I don't know what to do. :cry: I want a job but I don't know what's available that interests me.

I know at this time of night TSR likes taking the piss so please anyone if you have ideas that would be great, if you just want to poke fun please don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    How about looking through all the advice you have given to others on tsr, and consider how much of it you can apply to yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    (they have guns where I live)
    You live in the UK right?

If so, where? I'm curious what part has guns.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    You live in the UK right?

If so, where? I'm curious what part has guns.
    I live in the US (in a state that doesn't allow someone who has been in a psychiatric hospital (either voluntarily and involuntarily) to buy a gun. So yeah, i can't even protect myself and my wife).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    How about looking through all the advice you have given to others on tsr, and consider how much of it you can apply to yourself?
    That's part of the problem; it's very easy to give advice to people but very difficult to follow that yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell. It must be tough living in America if you have the issues you mention. If you can't find a job soon how much will you have to live on if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Focus on getting stronger. Join a boxing club and fight. You'll get hurt but that's a part of the game and soon little things won't hurt you anymore. If someone threatens you in real life, then you won't be afraid of hurting him because you have experience. It's incredibly uplifting as a man to have confidence in your own body.

Train daily to get stronger and tougher, this will give you a good target to look forward to everyday. Eat healthy. Go to the shooting range if you can't own guns, but still want to shoot.

As for work, I would recommend training for physical blue collar work. That's where real skilled work lies.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)
    Bloody hell. It must be tough living in America if you have the issues you mention. If you can't find a job soon how much will you have to live on if you don't mind me asking?
    It's not too bad. Luckily I'm married and my wife earns about 60k and her insurance covers me and the medication I'm on.

Funnily enough I got a bill for $20,000 after staying in a psychiatric hospital last year (for 1 week!!) - so easily to bankrupt someone - but my wife's insurance paid most of it, we only had to pay $350.

I'm still enrolled at university atm I've got until the end of June to decide whether to call it a day. The nursing isn't going that well - hence the thread: what career path I should take? :confused:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Maybe this is a crappy suggestion, but maybe try going to uni part time? Like do one module at a time. There's no need to do everything fast, slow and steady wins the race.

ReputationRep:
    It's not too bad. Luckily I'm married and my wife earns about 60k and her insurance covers me and the medication I'm on.

Funnily enough I got a bill for $20,000 after staying in a psychiatric hospital last year (for 1 week!!) - so easily to bankrupt someone - but my wife's insurance paid most of it, we only had to pay $350.

I'm still enrolled at university atm I've got until the end of June to decide whether to call it a day. The nursing isn't going that well - hence the thread: what career path I should take? :confused:
    $20,000! I need to stop taking the NHS for granted although as you say it was paid by insurance.

I can't say what career you should think about because Ive always been a slacker.

But I do think ,and I'm sure you know anyway,you really should think very carefully about it particularly with regard to your attitude to money and possessions and your other interests and things such as whether or not working from home is feasible .
    Not to mention whether you need company at work - looks like you're a team player- or whether you could be happy working by yourself.

And even things like whether you're a morning person or an evening person.

It's really important to make the right choice. So take your time. I wish I could be of more help.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Is there a careers service within your uni?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    Maybe this is a crappy suggestion, but maybe try going to uni part time? Like do one module at a time. There's no need to do everything fast, slow and steady wins the race.
    It's not a crappy suggestion, however at my uni I have to pay the same price whether I do 1 module or 4 so doing 1 per semester would be extremely expensive. If it was possible then yeah I would probably do that.

ReputationRep:
    If you are really struggling that badly to decide what you want to for the rest of life, how about not doing so.

Start focusing on now, forget what you are going to be doing in 5-10 years and make sure you are enjoying all the small things in your life now. 2

ReputationRep:
    it seems as though you like action and helping people

you could take the fact you are diagnosed and work with that?

try to look into different careers or do quizzes to see what suits you...

or you can try and make a change for people on the same boat as you or similar, help them out, maybe become a trainer
    Spoiler:
    Show
    sorry if this is really bad advice

ReputationRep:
    https://www.s2sacademy.com/
    This is somewhat basic stuff depending on how you look at it but still it eases your way into finding what will work for you. I have to do it as part of the Employment and support work related acitivity element it and it can seem a bit :rolleyes: at times but it's back to basics which I personally think there's no harm in being if you really aren't sure about something.

Also do you have anything similar to the job centre in the US? There's all sorts of support and careers guidance in those kinds of places

ReputationRep:
    America :rolleyes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    America :rolleyes:
    I've been in a British psychiatric hospital and it was worse than jail. That $350 was well worth it considering the difference.

so :rolleyes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    If you are really struggling that badly to decide what you want to for the rest of life, how about not doing so.

Start focusing on now, forget what you are going to be doing in 5-10 years and make sure you are enjoying all the small things in your life now. 2
    Focusing on now is focusing on my nursing degree, which tbh I'm pretty sure I'm going to fail. That's the problem, I don't know what I'll do if that happens. The statistics are against me, the vast majority of people with my diagnosis aren't employed, I want to change that for me.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm angry at you or something, that isn't my intention - I do appreciate you trying to help.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sfaraj)
    it seems as though you like action and helping people

you could take the fact you are diagnosed and work with that?

try to look into different careers or do quizzes to see what suits you...

or you can try and make a change for people on the same boat as you or similar, help them out, maybe become a trainer
    Spoiler:
    Show
    sorry if this is really bad advice
    It's not bad advice at all, I think you're spot on. I want to help people and not be stuck behind a desk. Hence my interest in nursing, I am most interested in the mental health sector so I can help people with my own experiences but I am so sure I'm going to fail this module which means I'll be kicked off the course.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    https://www.s2sacademy.com/
    This is somewhat basic stuff depending on how you look at it but still it eases your way into finding what will work for you. I have to do it as part of the Employment and support work related acitivity element it and it can seem a bit :rolleyes: at times but it's back to basics which I personally think there's no harm in being if you really aren't sure about something.

Also do you have anything similar to the job centre in the US? There's all sorts of support and careers guidance in those kinds of places
    Thanks for the link, although having looked at it I'm not entirely sure what it is....?

I think my university might have a careers service but I think it's more aimed at graduates rather than useless dropouts.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.