Turn on thread page Beta

music watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyhoney)
    I have to wait ages for my grade six, but I know I've prbs only got a pass as I mucked up everything but my pieces, and in the first piece my pianist followed me and didn't count, so when I did a rit that she didn't know about (becasue we had had one rehearsel) she stopped playing and I continued becasue I waspalyuing the best ever and knew I was too neveous to replicate it, and it wa VERY VERY fast (Igot nervious and its meant to be fast, but I was taking it VERY fast!) so I dont know what I will get
    it was fast? ritardando means gradually getting slower doesnt it? im lucky because iv always had my teacher accompany me. poor you, im sure you'll do good though. i was certain i was going to get a pass on my last grade but it turned out to be a distinction, so im positive you will do fine!

ReputationRep:
    Im a guitar player. I mainly write Metal arrangements but i do go into the psychadelic-on-acid genre sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    I play the drums, but I'm not that good and some of the fills completely lose me lol

I played the recorder in year three but everybody had to.

I attempted to play the cello (can't even spell the damn word) in year 7 because, once again, i had to, but i was so bad that the night before our concert they degraded me to the piano where i just had to press two keys in rhythm.

ReputationRep:
    I go to as many concerts as I can cheaply. Proms all summer (if anyone else is going I'll meet you in the dday queue if you want) and royal opera house cheap seats in the top tier. I have just finished A level music (OCR) and am going to study music at uni next year. I started playing piano when I was 7 but changed to tenor horn when I was 10 (moving to french horn at 12). I am just about to take grade 8 horn but am not really interested in playing that much any more as I have started to become more interested in musicology, specifically marxist musicology and adorno and responses to sschenker etc. I have composed a bit andd you can see my best piece on http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=49231

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I played the recorder in year three but everybody had to.

I attempted to play the cello (can't even spell the damn word) in year 7 because, once again, i had to, but i was so bad that the night before our concert they degraded me to the piano where i just had to press two keys in rhythm.
    bless!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    it was fast? ritardando means gradually getting slower doesnt it? im lucky because iv always had my teacher accompany me. poor you, im sure you'll do good though. i was certain i was going to get a pass on my last grade but it turned out to be a distinction, so im positive you will do fine!
    oh, rit, It was very fast then had a little rit. to bring me into the last sections more a pause and rit its marcello's sonata in e minor for viola the second movemnt if anyone randomly knows it!

ReputationRep:
    I gave up after grade 5 (violin) because I was too lazy to do the theory exam. I'm an engineer, so music is just for fun for me. I don't really know what standard I am, but I've played grade 6/7 pieces. I prefer playing in orchestras and string ensembles.

Same with singing, I've never had a lesson in my life, never needed one to get into anything i've wanted to do, maybe one day I will decide to audition for something more prestigious and need to do some proper work on my voice.

I'm singing in the choir for Mahler's 8th Symphony in Symphony Hall, Birmingham on Sunday. That will be my last big concert before uni I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by figgetyfig)
    I gave up after grade 5 (violin) because I was too lazy to do the theory exam. I'm an engineer, so music is just for fun for me. I don't really know what standard I am, but I've played grade 6/7 pieces. I prefer playing in orchestras and string ensembles.

Same with singing, I've never had a lesson in my life, never needed one to get into anything i've wanted to do, maybe one day I will decide to audition for something more prestigious and need to do some proper work on my voice.

I'm singing in the choir for Mahler's 8th Symphony in Symphony Hall, Birmingham on Sunday. That will be my last big concert before uni I think.
    Yay, symphony of a thousand - is it CBSO?

MB

ReputationRep:
    Oh I've also sang at the Albert hall and played my viola there a couple of times, as well as eton hall, farrer theatre st.georges chapel etc.

ReputationRep:
    I also try to go to as many concerts as possible though it's kind of dropped off during the last few years due to endless exams etc! I play the piano and am coming near to the end of my dipABRSM preparation: i'm playing 'Presto' from Bach's Italian Concerto, Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven (whole), Schubert's Gb Impromptu, Bartok Dance in Bulgarian Rhythm, Chopin Nocturne in E op.62 #2 and Rachmaninoff Prelude in C minor op.23 #7. I also like to compose and improve on my musical knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    our orchestra has done so much, its such a great oppotunity. on wednesday we jointly won our class at the national festival and we're going on tour to Poland on mon. A couple of the best things though have to be ending the night at the school's proms (not quite up to the proper ones i know, but it was still great!) and playing in the national children's orchestra, just wowing at how great everyone apart from me was!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    I also try to go to as many concerts as possible though it's kind of dropped off during the last few years due to endless exams etc! I play the piano and am coming near to the end of my dipABRSM preparation: i'm playing 'Presto' from Bach's Italian Concerto, Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven (whole), Schubert's Gb Impromptu, Bartok Dance in Bulgarian Rhythm, Chopin Nocturne in E op.62 #2 and Rachmaninoff Prelude in C minor op.23 #7. I also like to compose and improve on my musical knowledge.
    Wow! I am doing my diploma next week and am doing the rach 23 No 7. That can be really nasty on the 4-6 pages. When you doing it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Womble548)
    Wow! I am doing my diploma next week and am doing the rach 23 No 7. That can be really nasty on the 4-6 pages. When you doing it?
    I missed the July deadline so it'll have to be December this year! The hardest bit for me is the right-hand on the fourth page cos it's so fiddly up to speed getting the octaves in as well. What do you think? It's also hard keeping the closing section "leggiero" at speed, and i'm also not blessed with huge hands which can cause problems with Rachmaninoff! What other repertoire are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Hoho, I know what you mean about the right hand, although I have a slight pause between each octave and slam them down!!! It is very effective in that section. I am very leniant with timing on this becuase I find its much better to add 'expression' rather than create a mess which can easily hapen without a clear pedal.

Anyway, my programme is:

Beethoven sonata op 31 no 2 first movement 'the tempest'
    Chopin fantaisie impromptu
    Rach prelude op 32 no 7 and moment musical no 5
    debussey arabesque

Some of these are easy but i off set those with harder pieces. Probably not such a good idea. I am playing at the barbican for it as well! It will either go very well or terrible.

Cant wait for this to be over becuase then i can start the violin!

ReputationRep:
    Hoho, I know what you mean about the right hand, although I have a slight pause between each octave and slam them down!!! It is very effective in that section. I am very leniant with timing on this becuase I find its much better to add 'expression' rather than create a mess which can easily hapen without a clear pedal.

Anyway, my programme is:

Beethoven sonata op 31 no 2 first movement 'the tempest'
    Chopin fantaisie impromptu
    Rach prelude op 32 no 7 and moment musical no 5
    debussey arabesque

Some of these are easy but i off set those with harder pieces. Probably not such a good idea. I am playing at the barbican for it as well! It will either go very well or terrible.

Cant wait for this to be over becuase then i can start the violin!
    Yeah I put a lot of rubato in there, but even Ashkenazy does so I'm sure it's allowed! The Fantaisie Impromptu is very difficult with the cross rhythms and everything, I had a go ages ago but didn't take it very far! I think you've got a good mix of virtuoso and more refined pieces in there, and I don't think it'll matter about the simplicity of the pieces as long as they're played well! I haven't heard the moment musical but I presume it'll be really difficult?! Good luck with it anyway!

ReputationRep:
    You presume the moment musical is difficult. It is set as a gr8 piece and it is easy even for that. THe only difficult bit is voicing and expression but that comes once you know the piece.

The fantaisei impromptu, I have wanted to play this piece ever since I started and could say soooooo much about how to do it. Where did you get to on it, or how much could you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    I go to as many concerts as I can cheaply. Proms all summer (if anyone else is going I'll meet you in the dday queue if you want) and royal opera house cheap seats in the top tier. I have just finished A level music (OCR) and am going to study music at uni next year. I started playing piano when I was 7 but changed to tenor horn when I was 10 (moving to french horn at 12). I am just about to take grade 8 horn but am not really interested in playing that much any more as I have started to become more interested in musicology, specifically marxist musicology and adorno and responses to sschenker etc. I have composed a bit andd you can see my best piece on http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=49231

MB
    Hey musicboy,
    Loved your composition, it's really unique! I also read in another thread that you're going to do music at Cambridge, well I will be also in 2005 if I get the grades, so may see you around sometime! If you're not really interested in playing then I can see why you picked the Cambridge course, it attracted me also, although I adore playing!

ReputationRep:
    You presume the moment musical is difficult. It is set as a gr8 piece and it is easy even for that. THe only difficult bit is voicing and expression but that comes once you know the piece.

The fantaisei impromptu, I have wanted to play this piece ever since I started and could say soooooo much about how to do it. Where did you get to on it, or how much could you do?
    I made quite a bit of progress on the slow section, but it was getting the fast bits up to speed that was a problem, and the cross-rhythms hindered this so much. I didn't work at it though cos I decided to do the dipABRSM and the fantaisie wasn't on the repertoire lists, so didn't see any point in continuing with it. May come back to it though sometime!

ReputationRep:
    Concerts: Several Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren, Corsten. Trance is modern classical!

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.