Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    when I've done all my exams this year, can I leave? Because I'd have nothing to and I don't want to ask my school because they would definitely lie to me. I do plan on going to a new sixth form next year. And I should mention that the sixth form in now at, told me I'm a private candidate. So am I legally allowed to leave because I don't want to get into trouble

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure what a private candidate is for Sixth Form, we don't have anything like that here. When you say are you allowed to leave, do you mean so you can go to another Sixth Form? Or do you mean until your start your next year in September?

I'm not entirely how it goes for all Sixth Forms, but from what I know from my Sixth Form, if you give notice to your Head of Sixth Form and say that you want to leave for another Sixth, then you should be able to go. I don't think they can legally hold you there if they don't want you to leave. However, should you be allowed to leave Sixth Form, they will probably ask if you have applied for the other Sixth Form. If you haven't I would think about it.

Sixth Form's are used to last minute decisions from students, as we change our minds about our careers all the time. They work around stuff like this, its their job. Same as it's their job to help you with your career path, even if that means getting to another Sixth Form. However, legally you are not allowed to leave Sixth Form, and then decide you don't want to do anything. By Law, when you leave School at 16 you need to either be in full time education (college/sixth form), have an apprenticeship or get a job until 18.

But like I said, you should be allowed to leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttonbo)
    when I've done all my exams this year, can I leave? Because I'd have nothing to and I don't want to ask my school because they would definitely lie to me. I do plan on going to a new sixth form next year. And I should mention that the sixth form in now at, told me I'm a private candidate. So am I legally allowed to leave because I don't want to get into trouble
    of course you can leave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloRose)
    I'm not entirely sure what a private candidate is for Sixth Form, we don't have anything like that here. When you say are you allowed to leave, do you mean so you can go to another Sixth Form? Or do you mean until your start your next year in September?

I'm not entirely how it goes for all Sixth Forms, but from what I know from my Sixth Form, if you give notice to your Head of Sixth Form and say that you want to leave for another Sixth, then you should be able to go. I don't think they can legally hold you there if they don't want you to leave. However, should you be allowed to leave Sixth Form, they will probably ask if you have applied for the other Sixth Form. If you haven't I would think about it.

Sixth Form's are used to last minute decisions from students, as we change our minds about our careers all the time. They work around stuff like this, its their job. Same as it's their job to help you with your career path, even if that means getting to another Sixth Form. However, legally you are not allowed to leave Sixth Form, and then decide you don't want to do anything. By Law, when you leave School at 16 you need to either be in full time education (college/sixth form), have an apprenticeship or get a job until 18.

But like I said, you should be allowed to leave.
    Yep, I meant id be starting in September. So I'm guessing I'm allowed to leave. Do I have to give let them no before I leave or can I just call them in on the day. Like I said the school I go to is filled with dodgy teachers

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.