The Student Room Group

Orlando terrorist had used gay dating apps and visited club before

Interesting, but not entirely surprising.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-orlando-nightclub-shooting-20160613-snap-story.html

The gunman who attacked a Florida LGBT nightclub had attended the club before the attack and had used a gay dating and chat app, witnesses said.

Kevin West, a regular at Pulse nightclub, said Omar Mateen messaged him on and off for a year before the shooting using the gay chat and dating app Jack’d

But they never met until early Sunday morning. West was dropping off a friend at the club when he noticed Mateen whom he knew by sight but not by name crossing the street wearing a dark cap and carrying a black cellphone about 1 a.m., an hour before the shooting.

“He walked directly past me. I said, ‘Hey,’ and he turned and said, ‘Hey,’” and nodded his head, West said. “I could tell by the eyes.”
Reply 1
Sorry but that sounds like he just wants his 15 minutes of fame.

Messaged for a year but first time he saw him in person was the day of the massacre?
Reply 2
Very interesting and suspicious.
Original post by inhuman

Messaged for a year but first time he saw him in person was the day of the massacre?

Other witnesses have corroborated this, and law enforcement sources have confirmed it.
Original post by inhuman

Oh and there's this

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/orlando-shooter-omar-mateen-was-gay-former-classma/nrfwW/

A former classmate of Omar Mateen’s 2006 police academy class said he believed Mateen was gay, saying Mateen once asked him out

And this

At least four regular customers of Pulse, the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender nightclub where the massacre took place, told the Orlando Sentinel on Monday that they believed they had seen Mateen there before.

"Sometimes he would go over in the corner and sit and drink by himself, and other times he would get so drunk he was loud and belligerent," said Ty Smith, who also uses the name Aries.

He saw Mateen at the club at least a dozen times, he said.

Seems pretty persuasive to me.
One theory that's been going around is that he was a closeted gay but was angry at himself due to religious reasons etc.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
One theory that's been going around is that he was a closeted gay but was angry at himself due to religious reasons etc.

That's usually the case with many homophobes I believe. It's sad because this could be completely prevented ... if their parents weren't such close-minded people then guys like the shooter wouldn't have had to bottle **** up like this and never grow up to be an angry, violent person.
He could have been in the Muslim closet.
Many are as it has to one of the most difficult communities to come out in.
Christians are bad enough but at least they don't advocate killing you.
You're more likely to be scratched off the Christmas card list.:colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by Thutmose-III
Other witnesses have corroborated this, and law enforcement sources have confirmed it.

Oh I don't doubt that he was gay.

Makes sense, he was angry and ashamed at being gay. Makes the Islamic backdrop even worse. The ideology is so corrupt it breaks people into such shame.

Anyway, my point was the seeing part. Not that he is not gay. But come on, messaged for a year. Never met up. Never randomly saw him in the bar before.
really? :s-smilie:
Original post by caravaggio2
He could have been in the Muslim closet.
Many are as it has to one of the most difficult communities to come out in.
Christians are bad enough but at least they don't advocate killing you.
You're more likely to be scratched off the Christmas card list.:colondollar:

I don't know why but that last sentence made me laugh out loud :biggrin:
Oddly I am not surprised by this revelation

It would explain his anger
Original post by InadequateJusticex
That's usually the case with many homophobes I believe. It's sad because this could be completely prevented ... if their parents weren't such close-minded people then guys like the shooter wouldn't have had to bottle **** up like this and never grow up to be an angry, violent person.

Read just now this guy was actually gay and used Grindr apps.

I hope he burns wherever he is.
it seems like he was a gay guy who was deranged and decided to randomly shoot people up like every mass shooter. I don't believe any of this ISIS nonsense. It appears to be a made up link to me.
Homohpobia and his own self hatred due to his religion prolly was a melting point, culminating in his shooting spree. I don't think he killed those people because he believed he was on some sort of Jihad , prolly trying to persuade himself he isn't gay.
Perhaps he a had a similar experience to Frankie...might be his motive...

[video="youtube;EvYnppatzXs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvYnppatzXs[/video]
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Homohpobia and his own self hatred due to his religion prolly was a melting point, culminating in his shooting spree. I don't think he killed those people because he believed he was on some sort of Jihad , prolly trying to persuade himself he isn't gay.

This is compelling
Original post by ellie0497
it seems like he was a gay guy who was deranged and decided to randomly shoot people up like every mass shooter. I don't believe any of this ISIS nonsense. It appears to be a made up link to me.

They looked through his computer and apparently they found ISIS propaganda videos. I think he did want to be part of ISIS.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
They looked through his computer and apparently they found ISIS propaganda videos. I think he did want to be part of ISIS.

That doesn't sound plausible to me, I wouldn't be surprised if that is made up.

I would imagine most people have googled ISIS, it doesn't mean we all want to be part of it.

Quick Reply