Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been thinking for over a year now to begin a nursing degree and I'm pretty sure it's the career for me. However one thing that's making me anxious is the whole 'male nurse' perception and the possibility of being the only bloke on my access course/degree.

I know it shouldn't matter, but I'd like to hear from other male nurses or male nursing students what their experiences were like, did you get a lot of grief about doing nursing? Did people think it an odd choice for you? What about in hospital?

ReputationRep:
    I think that you should not care about any type of 'perception' attached to male nurses and instead do the career that is best for you/ the one that you will be most fulfilled in. Nursing is a really important job and I think you are overthinking it. It's the 21st century, and people are coming to grips with the idea that most jobs shouldn't just be restricted to one gender whether you are a man or woman. Focus on being successful in your studies and getting the grades you need! Those are far more important then 'perceptions' of male nursing

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a male paediatric nurse. When I was 17, before starting nursing, I had some typically immature comments from some peers, which I just ignored.

Once I got to uni no one really batted an eyelid. Yes, people asked why you wanted to do nursing, but they didn't ask me more than they did any of the girls.

On the ward where I work now, there are about 70 nurses in total. 5 of us are male, and we are all accepted and welcomed into the team. If anything, I think quite a lot of the girls quite like working with a few men - it changes the dynamic!

The only thing I'll say, if it isn't obvious, is that most of the time, you'll be working with mostly women. If you don't feel you can get on well with women, don't do nursing. I get on really well with my team (As do the other male nurses) and it makes all the difference.

I hope that helps you!
    Joel

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying adult nursing, there's 40 in our cohort and 7 are males. There is no difference and they are treated exactly like the girls, everybody gets on well together.

If people want to make comments, ignore them it just shows how immature they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buccaneer305)
    Hi, I've been thinking for over a year now to begin a nursing degree and I'm pretty sure it's the career for me. However one thing that's making me anxious is the whole 'male nurse' perception and the possibility of being the only bloke on my access course/degree.

I know it shouldn't matter, but I'd like to hear from other male nurses or male nursing students what their experiences were like, did you get a lot of grief about doing nursing? Did people think it an odd choice for you? What about in hospital?
    I'll be a male student nurse starting in February 2017, I was the only male in my interview day - no one batted an eyelid at it, it doesn't bother me and it certainly didn't bother any of the staff or other applicants. I have 2 male friends who studied nursing in classes of around 150-200 they estimated there were 20-30 other male students, but they also say they'd not thought about it really until I asked. They were obviously aware there were more women in the class, but not enough to give it a second thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I trained with male nurses and nobody really cared that they were male and were treated as equally as the females. I know that they have all done well for themselves post qualification and are pursuing the careers they want and are moving up the ladder nicely. I respect my male nurses as equally as I do the females. I wouldn't worry about how others view you at all. Times have changed and the nursing profession is adapting and moving on

ReputationRep:
    Well I would second the point that if you don't get on with women then maybe rethink things a bit lol.

My experiences (I'm a wannabe nurse and current HCA) have been largely positive. Everyone has been friendly and welcoming and my gender has never even come up in conversation.
    My partner however has been a midwife/ward manager for 10+ years and has had some very negative experiences, to the point where female nurses have been sent for sensitivity training. He constantly gets comments like "what does a man know about children?" from parents and fellow nurses and has been undermined by his junior staff a lot, on the basis that you "don't ask a man to do a woman's job".
    Also, you can experience positive discrimination as well. If you're in scrubs or plain clothes some people will assume you are a doctor not a nurse.
    So it can be a mixed bag. All I would say is join a union and they'll have your back should anything unfortunate happen, and if you do ever face any discrimination at work or uni don't let it slide, you are entitled to do your job without being harassed or put down for what's in between your legs. But his stories haven't put me off my chosen career and it shouldn't put you off either! Do what you want to do. If someone has a problem with you being male then it's just that; their problem.
    Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.