Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I am currently coming to the end of my AS year (year 12). I am hoping to get a week or two weeks work experience in the summer related to business management/marketing so I can get a feel for what the industry is about. I live in East Sussex and have been unsuccessfully trying to find some work experience. Do you know how I might be able to get this?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I am currently coming to the end of my AS year (year 12). I am hoping to get a week or two weeks work experience in the summer related to business management/marketing so I can get a feel for what the industry is about. I live in East Sussex and have been unsuccessfully trying to find some work experience. Do you know how I might be able to get this?
    Usually the only way is through friends and family. Unless your school careers person can help.

It's actually pretty difficult to get "relevant" work experience these days and isn't required for most university courses. Except medicine/health courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by jneill)
    Usually the only way is through friends and family. Unless your school careers person can help.

It's actually pretty difficult to get "relevant" work experience these days and isn't required for most university courses. Except medicine/health courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unfortunately my friends and family have few contacts and my college doesn't seem to have a careers person. Do you know of any websites that might be useful?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Unfortunately my friends and family have few contacts and my college doesn't seem to have a careers person. Do you know of any websites that might be useful?
    Companies are very reluctant to take on unknown school children for a week. There are insurance issues and it also means they have to supervise you closely, and have DBS cleared staff.

Larger companies are more likely to be able to do it. Try some of these

https://successatschool.org/advicede...perience-Ideas

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think you will struggle getting 1-2 weeks experience. Most internships are 8-10 weeks.

You could maybe try:
    - physically approaching local businesses and asking if they have any vacancies? a lot of small businesses put marketing to once side, so can always benefit from a tech savvy millennial to set up/manage social media accounts and other marketing activities
    - starting your own business? You will learn a lot doing that - doing marketing work online as a micro freelancer? (fivesquid.com kinda thing)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.