Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a graphical calculator (casio fx-9750GII) and I am aware that it can help me in some aspects of the exam. I don't know how to use it to it's full extent and I need all the help I can get. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    So on the june 2012 paper, question 6bi, the question is asking for a rotation followed by an enlargement which equals to the matrix shown. However the answer is not the same as what i got, but i put through my answer into my graphics calculator and i am 100% sure it is correct, would this still get marks on the test?
    The question
    :

The matrix M is defined by M = [-1, -1]
    [ 1,-1]
    Given that M represents an enlargement followed by a rotation, find the scale factor of the enlargement and the angle of rotation.
    Their answer is enlargement root 2
    Angle of rotation 135 degrees anticlockwise

However my answer :
    Enlargement negative root 2
    Angle of rotation 45 clockwise

As [cos - 45, - sin -45] multiplied by [ -root2, 0]
    [sin -45, cos -45 ] [0, -root2]

Also equals to [-1, -1]
    [1, -1]
    But my answer isn't in the answer area.
    Am i right??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.