Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Two new Xbox consoles watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Have you all seen this news about an upgrade to Xbox one and also a new more powerful console coming later to be able to handle Virtual Reality:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36522075

ReputationRep:
    nope, haven't checked it but now i will :woo:
    thats why i am always on TSR for news and updates
    :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Remember when a console used to be guaranteed to work and be supported for like 7+ years? Those were the days.

I've a PC that I expect to upgrade every couple of years to be able to handle new things, I buy a console for consistency.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    Remember when a console used to be guaranteed to work and be supported for like 7+ years? Those were the days.
    Not really. Loads of consoles have had refreshed mid-cycle versions launched. PS3, Xbox 360, PS2, PS1, Nintendo (3)DS(i), Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, even the really early ones like the MegaDrive. It's not a new thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Not really. Loads of consoles have had refreshed mid-cycle versions launched. PS3, Xbox 360, PS2, PS1, Nintendo (3)DS(i), Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, even the really early ones like the MegaDrive. It's not a new thing.
    I disagree. Of course every console actually went through several versions optimising the contents for reliability/cost and many also released a later "slim" version utilising new technology to reduce size but keeping the same power. Yes, this is nothing new. The key part here is that any version of console could run the exact same games with pretty much the exact same performance, making purchase of the newer console unnecessary.

Now we have releasing all new extra powerful consoles which create two tiers of owner and result in certain games only being playable if you have the more powerful version. This IS new and was brought in (with little success) by the "new" nintendo 3DS. Ultimately this means that if you want to play certain games/have certain features then you need to shell out for a new console.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    The key part here is that any version of console could run the exact same games with pretty much the exact same performance, making purchase of the newer console unnecessary.
    That's not always been true either. The newer DS versions (and not just the new 3DS) have games available that were incompatible with the older consoles. And while you could theoretically play one of the late-release Xbox 360 titles on a release-day console, you'd soon wish you hadn't. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    That's not always been true either. The newer DS versions (and not just the new 3DS) have games available that were incompatible with the older consoles. And while you could theoretically play one of the late-release Xbox 360 titles on a release-day console, you'd soon wish you hadn't. :p:
    True, the DSi was doing a bit of this before the "new" nintendo 3DS. Although Nintendo have always been an odd one and because they've always had backwards compatibility they're typically just promoted it as the next evolution. I wouldn't argue the model they've gone with is a good one though.

I disagree on the release day 360 business. I was able to run cod ghosts fine on my release day 20gb console, which is a relatively new game (post X1/PS4 release at any rate). I confess, I've not run anything newer than that on it, but I gather any games cross released onto both current and last gen have performed pretty terribly on the last gen consoles, regardless of their age.

I'm curious to see how things will turn out for Sony/MS with this whole "0.5" console increment. Personally I think uptake will be low, but I could be mistaken.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    True, the DSi was doing a bit of this before the "new" nintendo 3DS. Although Nintendo have always been an odd one and because they've always had backwards compatibility they're typically just promoted it as the next evolution. I wouldn't argue the model they've gone with is a good one though.

I disagree on the release day 360 business. I was able to run cod ghosts fine on my release day 20gb console, which is a relatively new game (post X1/PS4 release at any rate). I confess, I've not run anything newer than that on it, but I gather any games cross released onto both current and last gen have performed pretty terribly on the last gen consoles, regardless of their age.

I'm curious to see how things will turn out for Sony/MS with this whole "0.5" console increment. Personally I think uptake will be low, but I could be mistaken.
    Did Sony announce a new console as well? I only heard about the Xbox One ones.

I'm guessing this is mainly about competing with Steam, console hardware has always lagged behind but if they let themselves get too out-of-date this time around the PC/SteamOS stuff is going to catch up and bite them in the bum. Who knows if it will actually produce results, I think as always it'll be the games that sway things more than the hardware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Did Sony announce a new console as well? I only heard about the Xbox One ones.

I'm guessing this is mainly about competing with Steam, console hardware has always lagged behind but if they let themselves get too out-of-date this time around the PC/SteamOS stuff is going to catch up and bite them in the bum. Who knows if it will actually produce results, I think as always it'll be the games that sway things more than the hardware.
    Yeah, Sony announced their PS4.5 about a month back, stating it will be required to support the playstation VR.

Basically VR requires craploads of power that neither console has. If the only selling point is VR then I really can't see either being very successful.

As you say though, if they want to enter the upgrading console game, I don't like their odds against steamboxes in the future. Even if the hardware costs £50 more, you'll save that on games in a single sale.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.