The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Jamz115
Hmm... Think that's very optimistic lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe, but thinking that way will keep my patience levelled out lol. I'm going to email DBS in a week to see if they received our applications from HMRC. That'll give us a clue about progress.
Original post by MikalM
Maybe, but thinking that way will keep my patience levelled out lol. I'm going to email DBS in a week to see if they received our applications from HMRC. That'll give us a clue about progress.

Yea true

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Belfast2016
How's the job? How you getting on?

It's going good, looks like it'll be very interesting work! Haven't got doing much yet, there's a lot of training. Any word on a start date for yourself?
Original post by hellojo

It's going good, looks like it'll be very interesting work! Haven't got doing much yet, there's a lot of training. Any word on a start date for yourself?

Are you O or HO? You do finding it hard/easy both lol ... I've a provisional offer for Belfast .. Sent off health form Sunday not sure how much longer will be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey. I was one of the ones that went for the grad job back last year, kept on records and was offered a provisional offer near 4 weeks ago now.
I was called on Friday to go to Lisburn to prove identity checks ect and my degree. That's as much as I've done though but just waiting on hearing more. Anyone else been to Lisburn to do it and get any more info given to them regards when formal offers would be?
Original post by hellojo

Sounds good! How long is your training going to be? Did you find out about your working hours?

Not yet. Well I filled out my security checks and health declaration a few days ago then started the Access NI process today so hopefully get an update in a few weeks.
Sounds good! How long is your training going to be? Did you find out about your working hours?

Not yet. Well I filled out my security checks and health declaration a few days ago then started the Access NI process today so hopefully get an update in a few weeks.

I'm at the same stage as you. Filled out those forms on Sunday .. How do you know about Access NI process? I haven't heard anything since sending the forms off

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cass1988
Hey. I was one of the ones that went for the grad job back last year, kept on records and was offered a provisional offer near 4 weeks ago now.
I was called on Friday to go to Lisburn to prove identity checks ect and my degree. That's as much as I've done though but just waiting on hearing more. Anyone else been to Lisburn to do it and get any more info given to them regards when formal offers would be?

Hi Cass1988. I'm in exactly the same boat as yourself. I was in Moira House in Lisburn earlier this week to provide my ID certs and whilst there filled out a character declaration form and a pension form (which was basically not relevant to me as I've never worked for the civil service before). In and out within 10 mins. I had hoped to ask some questions with regards to how long it would take before we would get formal offers if everything checks out as planned, but unfortunately they didn't know any more than us. This is the first time that they have been involved in verifying IDs and aren't involved in any of the rest of the process.

I wonder if the character declaration form is the same as a DBS check or are these different?
Original post by Jamz115
I'm at the same stage as you. Filled out those forms on Sunday .. How do you know about Access NI process? I haven't heard anything since sending the forms off

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah mine was on Sunday too. I got an email today advising me to go on to Access NI and fill out the details for a standard check. You should hear soon enough then I reckon.
Yeah mine was on Sunday too. I got an email today advising me to go on to Access NI and fill out the details for a standard check. You should hear soon enough then I reckon.
hmm I'm bit concerned as surely I'd get sent same email same day as you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm I got my provisional offer 4 weeks ago too. I haven't been asked to go to Lisburn though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got my provisional offer for O grade 4 weeks ago on the back of the TPS and filled in the two forms at "next stage", haven't heard anything since......
I'll post in reply to you guys above instead on on each one haha.

I had the same response at Moira House. Was the first person they've ever done with it and said those forms would go to CSR or something in 24/48 hours. They knew nothing of what is next.

Those worrying that they haven't been called to go to Lisburn yet though don't worry. I was told on Friday they are trying to get through people over the next two weeks but may be longer with the amount of people.

I never had an interview for the post but reading on some other forums previously, if you did have an interview for another post, or an assessment day/centre then you may have had to fill them out before.
The forms in Lisburn was literally a check list to show you aren't a criminal, a pension form (only for those that have had a civil service or public service pension before) and taking photocopies of your passport, degree certificate ect for proof.
Not heard anything else back yet. Just really want to know quickly so I can hand in my current notice haha.
I'll post in reply to you guys above instead on on each one haha.

I had the same response at Moira House. Was the first person they've ever done with it and said those forms would go to CSR or something in 24/48 hours. They knew nothing of what is next.

Those worrying that they haven't been called to go to Lisburn yet though don't worry. I was told on Friday they are trying to get through people over the next two weeks but may be longer with the amount of people.

I never had an interview for the post but reading on some other forums previously, if you did have an interview for another post, or an assessment day/centre then you may have had to fill them out before.
The forms in Lisburn was literally a check list to show you aren't a criminal, a pension form (only for those that have had a civil service or public service pension before) and taking photocopies of your passport, degree certificate ect for proof.
Not heard anything else back yet. Just really want to know quickly so I can hand in my current notice haha.

What you work at currently without saying what it is exactly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kezxo
Hi I work for HMRC and just what's to clarify what you'd written. It is not necessarily true that you will be in ODP. And this work is not basic, far from it. I've worked in a number of departments over the years and this work is just as challenging as E&C. Band EO/O also work in E&C and their work is just as complex and challenging as HEO just in a different way. It'll take less time to work cases etc.

As for clothing some people dress casually and other not, it depends on their role and where they will be on a given day.

Feel free give me a shout if you have any questions :smile:

Il be new to the civil service and to be honest I'm just not sure what to expect. People have tried to explain but it's still unclear to be honest. For example what would your typical day involve from start to finish etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kezxo
Hi I work for HMRC and just what's to clarify what you'd written. It is not necessarily true that you will be in ODP. And this work is not basic, far from it. I've worked in a number of departments over the years and this work is just as challenging as E&C. Band EO/O also work in E&C and their work is just as complex and challenging as HEO just in a different way. It'll take less time to work cases etc.

As for clothing some people dress casually and other not, it depends on their role and where they will be on a given day.

Feel free give me a shout if you have any questions :smile:

Thanks for that! Could you let us know a little insight into how long pre employment checks took for you and how long after a formal offer it was before you started?
Reply 116
Thanks for that! Could you let us know a little insight into how long pre employment checks took for you and how long after a formal offer it was before you started?

I started in the department almost ten years ago so my pre-employment checks where different than the ones that are going on now. I also already had security clearance from another role I had in the department so from interview to pre-employment was about 6 weeks max. (Not accessNI I had a higher clearance then) However, the job I interviewed for wasn't available and they kept getting my start date mixed up and it didn't suit my notice periods. So I had applied in March, interview April, formal offer May and started training in November. There was no provisional offer in between based on checks then, they just did the checks then offered a formal position. There was also a dedicated HR department then that dealt with all HR issues, recruitment, training etc which they no longer have now. I'd regular updates with a girl from Glasgow then.
Original post by kezxo
Honestly it completely depends on your role and experience. Typical day for me in the office (I work with businesses visiting) usually starts with reading lots of emails, listening to VM and taking a note of missed calls to return. Then usually a meeting for an hour or more. Returning all said phone calls and emails, Writing reports, updating systems, issuing letters or assessments, getting advice, reading guidance, discussions with colleagues, analysing data, preparing for meetings, chairing meetings, cross tax meetings. That's just a typical day for me as my role is very busy and demanding.
When you start you don't need to worry about any of that as you'll be in induction, getting used to HMRC and how we work, doing H&S etc for the first week or so meeting new team etc. Then you'll be divided into training depending on your role, and given a mentor usually. The work doesn't start for a while if you're training in a tax. It's lots of technical training first of all. Then you'll never be given a full work load or case load right away, everything is done gradually.

Yea it sounds good. My only concern is that i have underestimated the Maths side of things. I know it's HMRC I know it's tax etc but the requirement was GCSE Maths Grade C so on that basis I thought .. It's a very basic requirement so there won't be too much maths challenging stuff as if there was they would have asked for a higher qualification but that would be my only concern

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 118
Original post by Jamz115
Yea it sounds good. My only concern is that i have underestimated the Maths side of things. I know it's HMRC I know it's tax etc but the requirement was GCSE Maths Grade C so on that basis I thought .. It's a very basic requirement so there won't be too much maths challenging stuff as if there was they would have asked for a higher qualification but that would be my only concern

Posted from TSR Mobile

The maths side is advanced at times.. Again this is my role only everyone's is different. Once you're placed I could give you a better idea. You're working out percentages, doing various calculations, checking records and finding audit trails. Again full training is given for this type of work but you are required to have more than basic maths skills GCSE grade C is required as a minimum because if the job is in tax it requires it. I was lucky as I studied international business management as one of my degrees so I had accounting and financial management under my belt before I started here and the training then provided information which I already knew so it was easier to pick it up. There is lots of support available and the trainers are lovely and most of the staff are willing to help but are really busy. If you're really concerned when you start you can always pick up a maths class at the college. Many people have done that to help them in their role... HMRC will not foot the bill for this nor give you time off! When you start and you hear everyone discussing cases and talking it's so daunting but I take trainees out with me a lot and try to explain things in plain English to them and use little things to help them understand easily. There's also lots and lots of guidance on our intranet, training manuals and your management will pick up development needs throughout the year.
Original post by kezxo
The maths side is advanced at times.. Again this is my role only everyone's is different. Once you're placed I could give you a better idea. You're working out percentages, doing various calculations, checking records and finding audit trails. Again full training is given for this type of work but you are required to have more than basic maths skills GCSE grade C is required as a minimum because if the job is in tax it requires it. I was lucky as I studied international business management as one of my degrees so I had accounting and financial management under my belt before I started here and the training then provided information which I already knew so it was easier to pick it up. There is lots of support available and the trainers are lovely and most of the staff are willing to help but are really busy. If you're really concerned when you start you can always pick up a maths class at the college. Many people have done that to help them in their role... HMRC will not foot the bill for this nor give you time off! When you start and you hear everyone discussing cases and talking it's so daunting but I take trainees out with me a lot and try to explain things in plain English to them and use little things to help them understand easily. There's also lots and lots of guidance on our intranet, training manuals and your management will pick up development needs throughout the year.

What office are you based in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending