Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually quite surprised to see the amount of people that are planning to start over the summer I know I'm not, what about you guys?

ReputationRep:
    No I'll just try and be patient :P

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, it's not really worth it. It's worth doing a bit of general reading on your subjects just so you have some vague confidence going into lessons but it's not at all necessary to teach yourself the whole syllabus before you get to the class- enjoy the summer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawkesgirl33)
    To be honest, it's not really worth it. It's worth doing a bit of general reading on your subjects just so you have some vague confidence going into lessons but it's not at all necessary to teach yourself the whole syllabus before you get to the class- enjoy the summer!
    Who say's anyone is going to Teach themselves the whole syllabus.
    I can't begin to describe the Intellect you would need to cover M1 and stuff like that....(Apparently it's hard).
    However, I'm going to start teaching myself C1 and S1, because many A-level pupils have told me to make it easier, start Early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulletzone)
    Who say's anyone is going to Teach themselves the whole syllabus.
    I can't begin to describe the Intellect you would need to cover M1 and stuff like that....(Apparently it's hard).
    However, I'm going to start teaching myself C1 and S1, because many A-level pupils have told me to make it easier, start Early.
    I'm coming from an arts subject base, which is obviously very different. I just wanted to point out that some people think that you can get ahead by teaching yourself as much as possible in the holidays, but its not worth wearing yourself out before term even begins. I agree with you though, broadly, it's totally fine to do some work in the summer if you want. There's just no pressure to do so. I am at uni now, so this is purely speaking from experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawkesgirl33)
    I'm coming from an arts subject base, which is obviously very different. I just wanted to point out that some people think that you can get ahead by teaching yourself as much as possible in the holidays, but its not worth wearing yourself out before term even begins. I agree with you though, broadly, it's totally fine to do some work in the summer if you want. There's just no pressure to do so. I am at uni now, so this is purely speaking from experience.
    I'm not going to be doing Crazy amounts, probably just One Hour in the afternoon and another hour in the evening

ReputationRep:
    If your doing AS next year i really advise you spend at least ONE week just looking over your syllabus and getting to know key terms and the basics. I highly recommend the 'CGP bridging the gap' series, especially for maths. If you start your year familiar with the basics you will go a very long way.

I do think its possible to cover all of C1 and/or S1 in the holidays without the need for much time, say one topic a week per unit, 5 hours a week for a month and a half and you've pretty much done C1.
    S1 is also possible but you'll probably struggle with binomial and stuff but by all means cover the first few chapters, its relatively easy

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it.

From Sept Y12 - June Y13 it's non-stop work. Even during the summer, of Y12 you can get lots of work.

Just enjoy yourself!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.