Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, i am interested in setting up an FTP for school work/storing music etc...

how would i go about doing so? is there any special software i need to up/download files and would i have to buy and web space?

cheers.

ReputationRep:
    I am not actually sure how you would create your own FTP server to be honest, I would imagine there is some software. If you have broadband then set your PC up as a server using somthing like Apache. If not then you will need some remote space but not webspace, most providers don't allow you to use webspace as a file store.

ReputationRep:
    Do you want FTP to upload files to the internet?

ReputationRep:
    yes

i need something more secure than the normal web host such as freewebs/bravenet.

i have loads of data that i will need to be able to access remotely if i put it on an ftp, so just up/downloading to internet is fine.

are there different types of ftp? ie. being able to edit data when it is saved remotely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam_B)
    yes

i need something more secure than the normal web host such as freewebs/bravenet.

i have loads of data that i will need to be able to access remotely if i put it on an ftp, so just up/downloading to internet is fine.

are there different types of ftp? ie. being able to edit data when it is saved remotely
    OK, I'm slightly confused at what you want to do as such. Download Cuteftp from www.download.com and this will allow you to upload files to the internet.

www.port5.com is an excellent place to upload files using ftp. Or, you can buy yuor own domain name and webhosting and there will already be ftp set up for you in which you will be able to upload your own files.

ReputationRep:
    www.come2store.com

Not FTP but it does the job.

ReputationRep:
    yes, www.come2store.com seems ok, but doesnt seem very secure (or it could be but i havent read that far yet)

basically i have over 1 gb of data i need storing on the internet somewhere

i need to be able to access it at any time and up/download data from this collection.

also , the up/download speed needs to be relatively quick (not 2 kb/s like my freewebs account)

any other hosts that people know of?

cheers.

(sorry if i have repeated myself)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam_B)
    yes, www.come2store.com seems ok, but doesnt seem very secure (or it could be but i havent read that far yet)

basically i have over 1 gb of data i need storing on the internet somewhere

i need to be able to access it at any time and up/download data from this collection.

also , the up/download speed needs to be relatively quick (not 2 kb/s like my freewebs account)

any other hosts that people know of?

cheers.

(sorry if i have repeated myself)
    1GB of data, you're probably going to have to pay, thats a huge amount.

ReputationRep:
    Read over the security risks of leaving your PC as an FTP server.

ReputationRep:
    come2store dont publicise the links to individuals stores, so unless u know the actual link no one is going to get to it (unless they guess it? lol)

I bet there is a password-before-download option on come2store, i havent used it for ages.

ReputationRep:
    ok, thanks very much for your help

ReputationRep:
    what you need is a ftp server... or some software that makes ur home pc into one... bulletproof ftp is a good one but there are loads that are around that do the job... you just run the software, put in some details and away you go (you might need to fiddle with some settings if you use a router)... when you want to upload/download just use a normal ftp client and enter you ip as the address (you can use something to give your IP a properb wordy address... i think no-ip.com does it but i havent tryed it as i have a fixed ip )... make sure you open the port in any hardware/software firewall that you may be using...

ReputationRep:
    IIS 5 is very secure if used properly. Wouldnt recommend it to a beginner tho- can get messy.

ReputationRep:
    i got 75mb of ftp space off some guy for a gmail invite

listen to the jimi hendrix album south saturn delta at: http://www.stonecrick.com/mark if you like (you need to be using windows media player as the songs are in .wma)

ReputationRep:
    BulletProof FTP Server is good and easy to set up. Free 30 day trial at: http://www.bpftpserver.com/download.php

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 8, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.