Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Blatter claiming European draws were fixed Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would not be surprised if this was the case, going to be very difficult to prove though. Do you think that this has occurred in the past?

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...and-cold-balls

ReputationRep:
    Madrid's run was certainly suspect. Everyone and their dog knew they'd get Citeh in the semis.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    My goodness that's a tricky article to read with a straight face.

European draws were fixed using "hot and cold balls"
    "I never touched the balls," he told La Nacion.
    When you touch them, you know what they are.
    But the prize winner has to be this line:

FIFA isn't corrupt
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Sepp Blatter calling other people corrupt is like Michael Owen calling out Mark Lawrenson for being boring.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly not surprising
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    How can you believe anything he says? I was impressed with all those bonises they were awarding themselves. No wonder he never wanted to give up the presidency.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Chelsea vs Barcelona in 2009 was and probably always will be the most blatent case of match fixing i've ever seen.

I believe that there is a lot that UEFA/FIFA don't want the public to know and it will all come out in 5-10 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Chelsea vs Barcelona in 2009 was and probably always will be the most blatent case of match fixing i've ever seen.

I believe that there is a lot that UEFA/FIFA don't want the public to know and it will all come out in 5-10 years.
    You have got to love Drogba reaction at the end of the match, stop the match.

Agreed, arguably the worst refeering performance of all time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Suspected this for a long, long time.

ReputationRep:
    What would have been the purpose of fixing the draws ? He didn't suggest that clubs were paying money for favourable draws and it would be incredibly risky for any club to do that.

Plus the best teams think they can best anyone.

So that leaves viewing figures. But I doubt that scrutiny of draws would produce much evidence to support that claim

Or would it?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by moggis)
    What would have been the purpose of fixing the draws ? He didn't suggest that clubs were paying money for favourable draws and it would be incredibly risky for any club to do that.

Plus the best teams think they can best anyone.

So that leaves viewing figures. But I doubt that scrutiny of draws would produce much evidence to support that claim

Or would it?
    Bigger clubs = more broadcasting revenue.

The draw this year was set up perfectly so that the "big four" (Real, Barca, PSG & Bayern) could be the 4 semi finalists. No coincidence imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

The draw this year was set up perfectly so that the "big four" (Real, Barca, PSG & Bayern) could be the 4 semi finalists. No coincidence imo.
    Ok.

I hope it's true.

Cos if it is I can make money most years simply by betting those teams (with suitable weighting ) in various markets.

Suggest anyone who thinks the draws are predictable do likewise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

But Atleti and Juventus are bigger than PSG.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: June 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.