Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm having trouble with starting off my personal statement and writing about why I want to study law. I literally don't have any experience or anything to put so was wondering if anyone knows anything that would look good to put on?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    error
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by sadixx)
    I'm having trouble with starting off my personal statement and writing about why I want to study law. I literally don't have any experience or anything to put so was wondering if anyone knows anything that would look good to put on?
    Admissions staff are looking for 3 things in a PS
    a) that you understand what you're applying for (so you've done your research on what the course involved, can speak with some understanding on the topics involved and the possible career prospects - ie if you apply for an LLB expecting to graduate and become a Barrister immediately then they're likely to think you don't know what you're applying for)
    b) that you have the motivation and interest to stick with the course for 3+ years (this can be covered again by talking about topics that are covered in a law degree demonstrating that you've done some research, talking about current events that have been affected by or influenced legal issues, super curricular activities like visits to courts/tribunals, reading legal blogs or journals etc)
    c) that you have any necessary non-academic skills required to succeed on the course (if you have essay subjects in your application then that will cover most of it, for a law PS arguing your case as to why you're suitable would demonstrate persuasive writing, a lot of people also talk about public speaking/debating activities but if these haven't been available to you it wont go against you).

http://university.which.co.uk/advice...e-law-students is worth a read for ideas

The PS Builder is also worth using to help structure your thoughts: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/per...ake_some_notes

You've got plenty of time to do more research and reading and other activities around law to help you build your confidence that you're applying to the right course and put together a great PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Admissions staff are looking for 3 things in a PS
    a) that you understand what you're applying for (so you've done your research on what the course involved, can speak with some understanding on the topics involved and the possible career prospects - ie if you apply for an LLB expecting to graduate and become a Barrister immediately then they're likely to think you don't know what you're applying for)
    b) that you have the motivation and interest to stick with the course for 3+ years (this can be covered again by talking about topics that are covered in a law degree demonstrating that you've done some research, talking about current events that have been affected by or influenced legal issues, super curricular activities like visits to courts/tribunals, reading legal blogs or journals etc)
    c) that you have any necessary non-academic skills required to succeed on the course (if you have essay subjects in your application then that will cover most of it, for a law PS arguing your case as to why you're suitable would demonstrate persuasive writing, a lot of people also talk about public speaking/debating activities but if these haven't been available to you it wont go against you).

http://university.which.co.uk/advice...e-law-students is worth a read for ideas

The PS Builder is also worth using to help structure your thoughts: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/per...ake_some_notes

You've got plenty of time to do more research and reading and other activities around law to help you build your confidence that you're applying to the right course and put together a great PS.
    thank you so much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.