does vibrato get better wiv practice

Watch
This discussion is closed.
horrorboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
im trying to sing even though im crap but i want to get vibrato in my voice. i think i can now do it a bit through practice but not sure if im doing it right. im trying to shake my ribcage or diaphram inside while singing and it achieves the shake a bit but is hard to do. am i doing it right
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 15 years ago
Just PM MB.
samd294
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If its anything like vibrato while playing the guitar, then yes!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
As I understand it (and how it feels for me), vibrato comes from the vocal chords, not shaking your ribcage! Once you've found it, it does become easier, and you have to learn to control it too. It's not a "shake," it's a slight variation in the pitch of the note, which can sound amazing or can ruin a song.
horrorboy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
As I understand it (and how it feels for me), vibrato comes from the vocal chords, not shaking your ribcage! Once you've found it, it does become easier, and you have to learn to control it too. It's not a "shake," it's a slight variation in the pitch of the note, which can sound amazing or can ruin a song.
it feels for me like i have to shake my insides and it comes from the triangle place where the ribs meet. am i doing it wrong and how else do i get vibrato
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I used to always want to do vibrato, but it never really worked...now I can't sing without a at least a slight vibration! I think what you have to do is get a very "open sound" with a lot of air and pulling in of tummy muscles, and then just try and get the effect you want!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by horrorboy)
it feels for me like i have to shake my insides and it comes from the triangle place where the ribs meet. am i doing it wrong and how else do i get vibrato
As Adhsur says, you first have to get a very open sound, from your chest, that doesn't sound like you're straining at all. Then the vibrato will come. Just spasming your diaphragm or intercostals won't work.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(you don't want to know what i thought this thread was about at first glance! :eek: *runs away again* )
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
(you don't want to know what i thought this thread was about at first glance! :eek: *runs away again* )
Grow up!
Actually I was probably thinking along similar lines
tis_me_lord
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
Yes, and stay away, filthy girl.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
Don't worry I thought exactly the same thing!!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
Elles, you may be a superb anatomist, but you can tell you're not a musician
tis_me_lord
Report 15 years ago
Elles, you may be a superb anatomist, but you can tell you're not a musician
Have you been assigned a recruitment task? It takes more than being perverted to be an anatomist, though it works for you.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
Have you been assigned a recruitment task? It takes more than being perverted to be an anatomist, though it works for you.
Elles is a medic. And she is very good at anatomy. All innocence, I promise!
tis_me_lord
Report 15 years ago
Elles is a medic. And she is very good at anatomy. All innocence, I promise!
Ah, i'll let you off then. Now, shall i ask a mod about my offense (and grey) rep comment? That could be fun.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i sneaked back in..!

glad to see i'm not the only one.. thanks for the admissions pikaboo & ~Sam~. & tis_me_lord, that sounds like something men say when they don't mean it in the slightest! :rolleyes:

Helenia - i am an atrocious musician! with regards to my anatomical skill, i'll reserve judgement till results..
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Vibrato can come from either the diaphagm or the vocal chords with very different effects. A diaphagm vibrato will carry far better. As helen says - make sure you are singing from the diaphagm first - this will give you the strrength to vibrato but it can take som time.

MB
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
i sneaked back in..!

glad to see i'm not the only one.. thanks for the admissions pikaboo & ~Sam~. & tis_me_lord, that sounds like something men say when they don't mean it in the slightest! :rolleyes:

Helenia - i am an atrocious musician! with regards to my anatomical skill, i'll reserve judgement till results..
I'm sure you have the skills. You've been practising things enough

Ben thinks I'm perverted. Where he got this idea from I don't know, because I'm an absolute angel really!
tis_me_lord
Report 15 years ago
Ben thinks I'm perverted. Where he got this idea from I don't know, because I'm an absolute angel really!
A delerious rebel, must be the drug talking.
Mighty
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Like many musical techniques, practice makes perfect. Controlling your vibrato for the style of music takes a lot of practice to do well. I don't know about singing (being a trumpet player), but I think the same principal applies.

As usual, there's some 'naturally talented' people that have good vibrato without practicing loads. Shame most of us can't do that
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (30)
7.77%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (33)
8.55%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (86)
22.28%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (50)
12.95%
No, nothing has changed (117)
30.31%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (70)
18.13%

Watched Threads