Turn on thread page Beta

does vibrato get better wiv practice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im trying to sing even though im crap but i want to get vibrato in my voice. i think i can now do it a bit through practice but not sure if im doing it right. im trying to shake my ribcage or diaphram inside while singing and it achieves the shake a bit but is hard to do. am i doing it right

Just PM MB.

ReputationRep:
    If its anything like vibrato while playing the guitar, then yes!

ReputationRep:
    As I understand it (and how it feels for me), vibrato comes from the vocal chords, not shaking your ribcage! Once you've found it, it does become easier, and you have to learn to control it too. It's not a "shake," it's a slight variation in the pitch of the note, which can sound amazing or can ruin a song.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    As I understand it (and how it feels for me), vibrato comes from the vocal chords, not shaking your ribcage! Once you've found it, it does become easier, and you have to learn to control it too. It's not a "shake," it's a slight variation in the pitch of the note, which can sound amazing or can ruin a song.
    it feels for me like i have to shake my insides and it comes from the triangle place where the ribs meet. am i doing it wrong and how else do i get vibrato

ReputationRep:
    I used to always want to do vibrato, but it never really worked...now I can't sing without a at least a slight vibration! I think what you have to do is get a very "open sound" with a lot of air and pulling in of tummy muscles, and then just try and get the effect you want!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    it feels for me like i have to shake my insides and it comes from the triangle place where the ribs meet. am i doing it wrong and how else do i get vibrato
    As Adhsur says, you first have to get a very open sound, from your chest, that doesn't sound like you're straining at all. Then the vibrato will come. Just spasming your diaphragm or intercostals won't work.

ReputationRep:
    (you don't want to know what i thought this thread was about at first glance! :eek: *runs away again* )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    (you don't want to know what i thought this thread was about at first glance! :eek: *runs away again* )
    Grow up!
    Actually I was probably thinking along similar lines

(Original post by Elles)
    Yes, and stay away, filthy girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Don't worry I thought exactly the same thing!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Elles, you may be a superb anatomist, but you can tell you're not a musician

Elles, you may be a superb anatomist, but you can tell you're not a musician
    Have you been assigned a recruitment task? It takes more than being perverted to be an anatomist, though it works for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Have you been assigned a recruitment task? It takes more than being perverted to be an anatomist, though it works for you.
    Elles is a medic. And she is very good at anatomy. All innocence, I promise!

Elles is a medic. And she is very good at anatomy. All innocence, I promise!
    Ah, i'll let you off then. Now, shall i ask a mod about my offense (and grey) rep comment? That could be fun.

ReputationRep:
    i sneaked back in..!

glad to see i'm not the only one.. thanks for the admissions pikaboo & ~Sam~. & tis_me_lord, that sounds like something men say when they don't mean it in the slightest! :rolleyes:

Helenia - i am an atrocious musician! with regards to my anatomical skill, i'll reserve judgement till results..

ReputationRep:
    Vibrato can come from either the diaphagm or the vocal chords with very different effects. A diaphagm vibrato will carry far better. As helen says - make sure you are singing from the diaphagm first - this will give you the strrength to vibrato but it can take som time.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    i sneaked back in..!

glad to see i'm not the only one.. thanks for the admissions pikaboo & ~Sam~. & tis_me_lord, that sounds like something men say when they don't mean it in the slightest! :rolleyes:

Helenia - i am an atrocious musician! with regards to my anatomical skill, i'll reserve judgement till results..
    I'm sure you have the skills. You've been practising things enough

Ben thinks I'm perverted. Where he got this idea from I don't know, because I'm an absolute angel really!

Ben thinks I'm perverted. Where he got this idea from I don't know, because I'm an absolute angel really!
    A delerious rebel, must be the drug talking.

ReputationRep:
    Like many musical techniques, practice makes perfect. Controlling your vibrato for the style of music takes a lot of practice to do well. I don't know about singing (being a trumpet player), but I think the same principal applies.

As usual, there's some 'naturally talented' people that have good vibrato without practicing loads. Shame most of us can't do that

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.