Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    So I'm hoping to go to uni to study paediatric nursing, but due to a difficult couple of years I have self harm scars on my left forearm. They are fairly visible, and obvious it was due to self harm. As I am currently 6 months clean from it, next year for my 18th I want to get a small butterfly/semicolon tattoo on my wrist, maybe with a quote underneath it.
    But I was wondering, if anybody knows what the regulations regarding tattoos are within the NHS? It'd only be small and obviously not offensive.
    Also, I am a bit nervous about the scarring on my arms. I'm just worried parents won't want me working with their children if they see them, or kids will ask questions and I will have to try and think of a reason! And I certainly don't want to trigger any young people, in my area a lot of mental health cases are on the general paediatric ward.
    Thank you for any advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmiebonner7399)
    Hello!
    So I'm hoping to go to uni to study paediatric nursing, but due to a difficult couple of years I have self harm scars on my left forearm. They are fairly visible, and obvious it was due to self harm. As I am currently 6 months clean from it, next year for my 18th I want to get a small butterfly/semicolon tattoo on my wrist, maybe with a quote underneath it.
    But I was wondering, if anybody knows what the regulations regarding tattoos are within the NHS? It'd only be small and obviously not offensive.
    Also, I am a bit nervous about the scarring on my arms. I'm just worried parents won't want me working with their children if they see them, or kids will ask questions and I will have to try and think of a reason! And I certainly don't want to trigger any young people, in my area a lot of mental health cases are on the general paediatric ward.
    Thank you for any advice
    Hi!
    Plenty of nurses have tattoos as well as scars from one thing or another, whether it be self harm or something else. Children are inquisitive and do ask questions, but you can change the subject or make a story out of it. You had a fight with a wild cat or a supervillain or something...you can look to the parents /carers for direction as sometimes they will intervene for you.
    Don't worry about tattoos or scarring though.
    As long as your tattoos are not offensive or something similar then you will be fine. Many people are very understanding, particular within the health care profession.
    And adolescents etc who may have mental health problems can look to you as a role model. The scars are a sign that you've been perhaps where they are, and you've come through it stronger and with a job to help others. Especially as you can use your experience to your advantage.
    Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmiebonner7399)
    Hello!
    Thank you for any advice
    Im a final years children nurse. I have 6 tattoos on my wrist and two on my hands. I found this article which is worth a look

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Tattoo-UK.html

ReputationRep:
    I also have a question about this. Before I wanted to be a nurse, I considered getting a floral sleeve to cover my many scars on my arm. Now that I want to do children's nursing, I don't now whether it would be better to have no tattoo on my arm with all my scars showing or a big tattoo and less visible scars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starley1234)
    I also have a question about this. Before I wanted to be a nurse, I considered getting a floral sleeve to cover my many scars on my arm. Now that I want to do children's nursing, I don't now whether it would be better to have no tattoo on my arm with all my scars showing or a big tattoo and less visible scars.
    Children are inquisitive and may ask questions.
    They also will be somewhat used to seeing people with tattoos as they're a lot more common today.
    I know of Children's nurses who let their patients colour match in their tattoos as a way of breaking down an barriers and building a relationship with the child.
    Plenty of Nurses have tattoos and some do also have scars. Whether they be from operations or self harm etc.
    If you want to get a tattoo there is no reason why not.
    Just please consider that if you do, it will need to be healed before you go on your first placement as you need to be bare below the elbows for infection control.
    And you will need to wash your hands and arms regularly so you wouldn't want this to interfere with the healing process.
    Do what makes you happy! It won't prevent you from getting a place because you have a tattoo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.