Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just resat F452 this afternoon, feeling pretty confident beforehand however some of the questions completely threw me over and I found it near impossible to make up some bs in attempt for a couple of marks.

The questions like define a "variable" and the types of testing during software development were quite straight forward and hopefully got some easy marks

Was a bit confused by what they asked from the first question with the grid and what data they actually wanted inside it. (thought the context with the lorry and the temperatures was dreadful)

BUT for the last question (programming is not my strongest point), I was staring at the algorithm for about 15 minutes and I just couldn't get my head around it after trying every possible calculation with the example they gave so I reluctantly left it blank.

Be interested to know how everyone else who sat the exam found it, leave your answers so we can compare

ReputationRep:
    I did the exam too. Yep I feel the same. Some of the questions were really straight forward and by practising previous exam papers, most of it went okay. However, there were many algorithms to write which I'm not great at. I managed to put something down, but I'm not completely sure whether they'll be correct. That said, I don't think there's one particular answer to those sort of questions. So as long as you put any algorithm down which makes sense logically, it should be okay.OCR's grade boundaries, last year were extremely low. You could lose around 40 marks and still get an A. In the question where you had to find the file size, (question 1, part 2 I think), what did you get?And the question that asked - what are variable and fixed sized records? - was completely new to me. I didn't encounter this question in any of the past papers. Managed to explain it, but then again I'm not fully confident with it.

ReputationRep:
    how many records did you put in the calculation? I assumed all 5 sensors were in the same record cos it didnt exactly specify how many records there were. I got 300+ something with a decimal. wby? I completely missed out 17 marks cos they were all algorithms. what did you get for the trace tables on the second last question? what did you say about the fixed length question? and how did you design the output screen for the first question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In total for one record I got something like 49 Bytes then multiplied it by the 3 hours so I got 517 KB in the end. Also I'm with you guys on algorithms, so lost a lot of marks there. I just hope grade boundaries will be low this year (preferably the lowest ever).

ReputationRep:
    was the data type for sensors real? I did date and time both 4 bytes each. 5 sensors each 4bytes. then the error Is boolean which is 1 byte. added them together got 29bytes times 29 by the equivalent of 3 hours to seconds. then multiplied by an overhead of 1.1. divided my answer to get KB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it was 4 bytes for time and date and then if you use real as 4 bytes thats 29 bytes per record
    29*180 = 5220
    5220 + (0.1*5220) = 5742 bytes (adding the overhead)
    and then divide by 1000 or 1024 (usually either is accepted) to make it into kb so answer is5.6kb or 5.7kb

Otherwise real can also be 8 bytes which would equal 49
    49*180 = 8820
    8820 + (0.1*8820) = 9702
    9702/1024 or 9702/1000 = 9.7kb/9.4kb.

You know that question where you had to write an algorithm to create a username for someone I am a complete idiot and don't know how to write an and sign (&), i've just never written with one. So i draw some weird squiqqle and then wrote it was supposed to be an & do you think i will lose marks for it? :dry:

ReputationRep:
    why did you times by 180? isnt 3 hours = 3 times 60 times 60 to get seconds? for the username question I used LEFT(string, no of chars) and the one for right as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it should be multiplied by 3*60*60 to get 3 hours in seconds, not multiplied by 180.

ReputationRep:
    I may or may not have acquired the paper from last Tuesday, let me know if you're interested

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.