Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I don't get why.

I've tried searching but I need help.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The average mass is 35.5, about half of chlorine atoms have a RAM of 35, the other half 36, same with every other decimal one.

ReputationRep:
    Thank the lord

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProbablyJade)
    Thank the lord
    ooPS I DIDN'T FNISH THE POST

ReputationRep:
    Oh god my reply is a trainwreck

ReputationRep:
    What i meant to say was thank the lord my revision could help me qith this question. Basically the value is an average o all the isotopes taking into account the relative abundance

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

Good luck to all tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    If a element has more than one isotope the relative atomic mass takes account of the relative abundance and RAM mass of each isotope, for chlorine (I think) about 3/4 is Cl-35 and about 1/4 is Cl-37, giving 35.5 overall, though I very much doubt this is necessary to know. The values will be different for each atom obviously, but that is the general idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The average mass is 35.5, about half of chlorine atoms have a RAM of 35, the other half 36, same with every other decimal one.
    That's incorrect mate :/
    There are two isotopes of Chlorine. Cl-35 and Cl-37. On average 75% of the atoms are Cl-35 and 25% are Cl-37. Therefore on average the atomic number is 35.5.
    35+35+35+37 = 142
    142 / 4 = 35.5
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jono-Wolf)
    That's incorrect mate :/
    There are two isotopes of Chlorine. Cl-35 and Cl-37. On average 75% of the atoms are Cl-35 and 25% are Cl-37. Therefore on average the atomic number is 35.5.
    35+35+35+37 = 142
    142 / 4 = 35.5
    It's been a while (5 to be precise) but the general point is correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That is the average weighted mass of an atom of chlorine compared to 1/12th the mass of an atom of carbon-12
    Spoiler:
    Show
    My Chem Teacher should be proud I remembered that

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.