The Student Room Group

I Want To Fail My 2nd Year Retakes

So I've done terribly this year (not handing in my coursework, missing one of my exams, not turning up to class) due to illness and depression from last Christmas, and I wanted to retake my 2nd year, so that i haven't completely ****ed my degree. Unfortunately, the only way to do that would be to completely fail it this year, so the counselors say. If i get less than 40% then I will most likely be invited to retake. The problem is, I'm not really sure how to fail my exams in August. Do I just not turn up? will that be too much? do I turn up and write the bare minimum? They teach you how to do your best, not strategically fail to do your best next year...

Help please
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by CHoCoH8r
So I've done terribly this year (not handing in my coursework, missing one of my exams, not turning up to class) due to illness and depression from last Christmas, and I wanted to retake my 2nd year, so that i haven't completely ****ed my degree. Unfortunately, the only way to do that would be to completely fail it this year, so the counselors say. If i get less than 40% then I will most likely be invited to retake. The problem is, I'm not really sure how to fail my exams in August. Do I just not turn up? will that be too much? do I turn up and write the bare minimum? They teach you how to do your best, not strategically fail to do your best next year...

Help please

I would fail this years exams so your guranteed a retake otherwise you could get say 43% be forced to carry on then perhaps finish uni with a 2:2 or even a 3rd which is pretty much a complete waste of time and money because nobody would want to hire you. (Maybe thats just me being pessimistic but ya never know) In terms of how you fail, i would just write the bare minimum and during the exam groan as if your in pain because the examiner might be like "I heard he was ill during the exam, that explains the lack of work" You would still fail but would now have evidence to show why you failed and why you deserve a retake. Anyway good luck

Help please

Do you not get capped on the pass mark on the retakes? Pretty common among most unis and courses!

Help please

Something to consider is when you retake the year you will be capped at 40% like any other retake (unless you have EC but then I would of thought you would of had the chance to do a non capped retake of all the stuff)
Original post by madmadmax321
Something to consider is when you retake the year you will be capped at 40% like any other retake (unless you have EC but then I would of thought you would of had the chance to do a non capped retake of all the stuff)

yeah you'll be capped at 40% for a retake even if you do 100%correct it'l still only be 40% you may as well try to pass and work your socks off in 3rd year you might still be able to salvage a 2:1 and a 2:2 isn't so bad I have one.

Help please

Assuming your profile is correct and you're at sussex then you can appeal to go straight to a retake year

The above posters are incorrect - an in year resit is capped at 40%, retaking an entire year is not capped (though you can't carry in any of your marks from the first attempt at the year - every mark in the retaken year is considered a first attempt).

"A repeat assessment cycle consists of one further cycle of first attempt (where marks are uncapped) and a resit attempt (where marks are capped). This is subject to the proviso that your course of study is running in the next academic session. (Please see regulation 1.2.6). If you are a first year undergraduate student and you have failed the stage after being given a resit opportunity, you have the automatic right to repeat the stage. You will need to abide by the conditions set out in the University Standard Repeat Year Learning Agreement.

"For all other stages the exam board will be guided to give undergraduate students a repeat stage, usually where more than 30 credits have been failed, and usually after resits have been given in the summer vacation assessment period. Please note that by repeating a term or stage there will be financial implications and that any marks achieved will not be carried forward to the repeated term/stage.

"If you do not wish to take the resits offered by the exam board and you are sure that you would like to repeat the term/stage, then you should request a repeat term/stage via the appeals process. (Please refer to the appeals procedure via the following link: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/ogs/complaintsappeals/academic) "
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/adqe/standards/examsandassessment
If you have to sit the exams then I'd recommend only answering 1/3 of the questions - that way you can't get more than 40%
Obviously what PQ said at #6.

Just get an appeal in now and bypass the farce of deliberately failing them.
Presumably you can provde some medical evidence about your depression etc.
Ambition goals
You can request to retake the year if you ask now.

I hope you feel better next year and do well, Good Luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending