Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all. I am an International student to be studying master at Durham university for 2016/2017 academic year. i have a question. What do you think is a better option , renting a room at a college or renting a place outside Durham in the Durham city from all aspects ?
    Many thanks in advance for your answers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DNA89)
    Hey all. I am an International student to be studying master at Durham university for 2016/2017 academic year. i have a question. What do you think is a better option , renting a room at a college or renting a place outside Durham in the Durham city from all aspects ?
    Many thanks in advance for your answers
    If you get out of school grounds accommodation, you'll feel less included and miss out on events, if you get college accommodation you'll be closer to where you will study. Also, staying in a college accommodation will mean that youll make a lot more friends quicker. I believe that you can also choose in your second year to live in your own accommodation, so you can have your own feel for living on your own then, but if you don't like it move back in the 3rd year .

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks dear. I am a master's student and it is only for one year so I may not have the options you have mentioned but I agree with the inclusion thing. I have been living on my own from a very young age and not easy for me to be sleeping/staying with many others around but then I also want to have the real student experience at Durham. Thanks for your advice .

ReputationRep:
    I've made the decision to stay in halls, just to make sure I meet new people and also for the experience. I just hope I fit in, I'm a mature student (I'm 23). Its exciting stuff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LozzaCozza)
    I've made the decision to stay in halls, just to make sure I meet new people and also for the experience. I just hope I fit in, I'm a mature student (I'm 23). Its exciting stuff!
    It is great indeed to know more people and diverse backgrounds. Yet this is not only aspect of the question, would love to hear about financial costs or other aspects that I may have missed. Thanks for your comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DNA89)
    It is great indeed to know more people and diverse backgrounds. Yet this is not only aspect of the question, would love to hear about financial costs or other aspects that I may have missed. Thanks for your comment.
    The student accomodation at Butler college where I have been assigned is £110 a week, all bills and a cleaner included. You can get cheaper digs than that elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LozzaCozza)
    The student accomodation at Butler college where I have been assigned is £110 a week, all bills and a cleaner included. You can get cheaper digs than that elsewhere.
    Thanks for sharing this info. That is a decent price.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.