Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently 20 years old but messed my school life up and didn't take anything seriously, I now am currently re taking my gcse's and then I'm doing an access course to get into uni. But I will be 23.. Is this to old? Will I be to old for the uni 'experience' like partying and stuff... Do people find it weird?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nosworthy1995)
    I am currently 20 years old but messed my school life up and didn't take anything seriously, I now am currently re taking my gcse's and then I'm doing an access course to get into uni. But I will be 23.. Is this to old? Will I be to old for the uni 'experience' like partying and stuff... Do people find it weird?
    No man, it's chill.
    There's 50 year olds in my sisters course and you'll find some older kids there and some'll be your age.

Nah, you often don't realise people's ages until their birthday comes around. You might find 18-year-old freshers a bit immature, but there are people of absolutely all ages at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Throughout my time at uni I've met many people who are a few years older than the "norm" - curiously, they have all been male? But really, it has made no difference, these people have all found their niche, whether it be in a sports club, or a group of party animals, or a group of studious friends. I can imagine halls might be a little weird for you, but not everyone else. I think you'll notice a difference more than the people around you will.

So no, people don't really bat an eyelid. As with everybody, make sure you really try to integrate if that's what you're seeking, and just relax. Remember that most of the people around you are freshly free from their parents and you'll have a great time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nosworthy1995)
    Nope...I did exactly the same thing....only at 21. Currently sitting my A2 exams to go do physics at uni. Loads of people go to uni too soon and come out with a degree in a subject they don't even care about, then apply to jobs the people who didn't go to uni have already advanced in.

But if you make sure what your studying is definitely what your interested in, and it has viable career prospects (don't just assume, literally go on job sites while pretending to have the degree you want and see how many jobs are available).

Everyone eventually gets to the full time job/buy a house start a family stage. What does it matter when you arrive there, its not a race. Plus although you will be arriving to this stage in life late, it is the longest stage, so you want this stage to include a career that you enjoy.

Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.