Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've always wanted to study Criminology at uni (I was aiming for Northumbria) and I've realised that I think I really want to work as a prison psychologist.
    I was wondering if it'd be possible for me to go down this route by doing a Criminology degree at Northumbria as well as a placement year with this, then going on to do Forensic Psychology as a Masters at Newcastle uni.

Would these be a suitable path for me to take? Or are there options which would be more suitable to do or will actually make me able to get a career in this field? Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Your best bet is to have a look at jobs you're interested in and see what qualifications are required:
    https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...c-psychologist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Your best bet is to have a look at jobs you're interested in and see what qualifications are required:
    https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...c-psychologist
    yep already have, thanks anyway.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    To be a forensic psychologist, you need to do either a psychology undergrad degree (some joint honours courses may be OK too) or a conversion course (masters), followed by a forensic psychology masters/doctorate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    To be a forensic psychologist, you need to do either a psychology undergrad degree (some joint honours courses may be OK too) or a conversion course (masters), followed by a forensic psychology masters/doctorate
    Just to expand a bit further.

To become accredited as a Forensic Psychologist you must complete stage 1 and 2. Historically stage 1 has been provided through the MSc in Forensic Psychology. Stage 2 required you to complete 2 years of supervised practice, either through an existing work role, a paid trainee post or as a volunteer. Generally the availability of trainee roles is very low and competition is therefore extremely high. It's also harder to complete stage 2 through existing/volunteer roles due to the squeeze on services and people's time (you require a supervisor and placement who can guarantee you the time and opportunity to gain the relevant experience). Fundamentally, this route is not a guarantee. Unless things have, or do change, I don't forsee there being a lot of opportunities to gain the stage 2 experience. It isn't impossible, but I would be wary about banking your career on it.

The doctorate (Nottingham, Birmingham and Cardiff, as far as I'm aware) combines stage 1 and 2 together. So you'll definitely be accredited by the end of it; though I'm not sure how many guarantees they provide regarding appropriate placements - I.e. you may need to source these. Obviously they are going to be competitive and they are not funded. You'll still need the Psychology BSc though.

You mention a 'prison Psychologist' - what do you know of this role? What do you imagine your job would entail? The Psychology provided in prisons is different from typical therapy and that available in the NHS - bearing in mind the NHS has forensic services and employs Forensic Psychologists as well. I'd not set your sights on prisons just yet. My experience over the past 4 years has taught me that I'd probably hate to be a Psychologist in a prison - of course, they is just for me personally.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bps.org.uk/careers-educat...rensic-psychol

Currently in the process of finishing stage 1 and looking forward to stage 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.