Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Stressing about a difficult exam? Read our article on why it's not that bad here.

How do you feel about difficult exams? Do you obsess about it for weeks after or just let it be?

ReputationRep:
    The key point is indeed that you can't change it. Quickly see what you may have gotten wrong if it can help for future exams (ie Maths) and move on to the next one - lamenting oneself about it won't change anything

ReputationRep:
    I always just let it be. Once it is gone there is no point stressing. If the grades turn out to be not as good as expected then it is not the end of the world as you can still achieve everything you want, it just may not be in the university you ideally would have liked but you can still do the same course and get the same job. Positivity is key

ReputationRep:
    For certain subjects people have a choice of loads of different questions though. The grade boundary thing doesn't work for languages where there are up to 12 questions to pick (you only do 2 and those tend to be prepicked), so some are bound to be harder than others.

So even if someone finds these sorts of exams really difficult because the questions they answered were, the grade boundaries ill not budge. It's not a 'all in the same boat' situation.

True that the best way to get over a tough paper is just to accept it. Nothing can be changed now.

ReputationRep:
    Exams are to test you, of course.
    But they really test those who are capable of getting their target grade, or even the A*.
    From personal experience, hard exams are the best, you learn the most, it's challenging and I always do best under most pressure. Hard exams are in fact most beneficial for you, what's the point if the exam is easy. It's like life, a practise, an obstacle.
    Exams are getting young people in the mind of maturity and seriousness.
    Yes, you can't change it, but there's nothing to worry about, things happen for a reason and so you can only follow the course of life, not jump out of it.
    Everyone feels the same for different exams, it's all dependant on the individual themself.

ReputationRep:
    pizza

ReputationRep:
    Exams are supposed to be hard....not really a point which is meant to cheer people up.

ReputationRep:
    Had probably the hardest exam I've had in my life so far yesterday, but I most certainly had not "revised for weeks" and "practised endless past papers" so I'm not feeling too bad. In general I might obsess about it for a few days. I made a Hitler vid once..
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Emilycunningham)
    Exams are supposed to be hard....not really a point which is meant to cheer people up.
    We agree with you Emily! A challenge is a good thing! Just try not to think of the negatives of the exam, you never remember the answers that you could complete, just the ones where you weren't 100% sure. Have confidence in yourself and enjoy your Summer break. And just remember, there's always someone worse off than you. Someone we found threw up on their exam paper, but it got photocopied and they still got a B! :clap2:

Cheer yourself up with some of our other exam disasters: www.bcu.ac.uk/exam-disasters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birmingham City University)
    We agree with you Emily! A challenge is a good thing! Just try not to think of the negatives of the exam, you never remember the answers that you could complete, just the ones where you weren't 100% sure. Have confidence in yourself and enjoy your Summer break. And just remember, there's always someone worse off than you. Someone we found threw up on their exam paper, but it got photocopied and they still got a B! :clap2:

Cheer yourself up with some of our other exam disasters: www.bcu.ac.uk/exam-disasters
    Awww what nice words- you're uni is very underrated- it needs more credit!!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Emilycunningham)
    Awww what nice words- you're uni is very underrated- it needs more credit!!
    Kind words from you too

ReputationRep:
    Exams were real disasters for me. I was going crazy, couldn't sleep or even nap before. But I was trying to relax while listening to music of having a walk in the evening.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.