Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm really stuck and would appreciate some advice from current uni students/med students or anyone who can help

!I live in London and haven't been given a place in university halls due to my proximity to campus. I have two main choices :1. Commute - 1 hour 10 door to door (45 mins on the tube) annual cost around 2/3 K2. Private halls - 2 mins walk from the Med School - studio - cost = 12K

From a financial point of view, it make sense to commute but will I miss out on the student life? Independence ? Being able to come back home whenever, do whatever and bring whoever I want around?

I know Medicine is quite intensive, i'll be in 5 days a week but one thing I like about coming home is I can get away from all the hustle and bustle from the medical school area to the house we have in the suburbs.

At the same time, I want to experience living away completely from my parents + being able to do what I want. It'll be a studio room - so I don't have to deal with the food being stolen but then people say you make friends in the communal kitchens etc?

Is the 12K worth it? I was overlooking the fact before that I would be paying for just room. It's the experience I get as well. Just not sure whether to "save" this money. N.B it's my parents money , my maintenance loan won't cover this amount.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers !
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by LOAend)
    x
    Moved to medicine for you. All the best!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.