Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi so I'm 19 currently studying a Level 3 Events Management and Hospitality course at college, I am hoping to apply for September 2017 at Wolverhampton and Cardiff Met. to study Environmental Health.

My problem is that I currently only have grade D in Maths at GCSE I have retook it 3 times and been only a few marks off the C but having to retake that many times my self esteem is dropping. I really want to go to Uni because the career I want to have needs a degree in that field to do it. I have even taken Level 2 FS Maths and failed that too I literally don't know what to do, it's as if I'm never meant to get a grade C (all I need to get onto the course) do I definitely need the C grade or do you reckon I'd be able to get on without it? It won't need much maths in comparison to the Science it needs. I am planning on retaking GCSE Maths again this time next year just to see if I can pass by September.

I have had tutoring and spent ages revising, completing mock exams etc. but nothing had worked

Does anyone have any idea what I can do and if I'll still have a chance to get on the course or not?

Thanks xx
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by weathergirl96)
    Hi so I'm 19 currently studying a Level 3 Events Management and Hospitality course at college, I am hoping to apply for September 2017 at Wolverhampton and Cardiff Met. to study Environmental Health.

My problem is that I currently only have grade D in Maths at GCSE I have retook it 3 times and been only a few marks off the C but having to retake that many times my self esteem is dropping. I really want to go to Uni because the career I want to have needs a degree in that field to do it. I have even taken Level 2 FS Maths and failed that too I literally don't know what to do, it's as if I'm never meant to get a grade C (all I need to get onto the course) do I definitely need the C grade or do you reckon I'd be able to get on without it? It won't need much maths in comparison to the Science it needs. I am planning on retaking GCSE Maths again this time next year just to see if I can pass by September.

I have had tutoring and spent ages revising, completing mock exams etc. but nothing had worked

Does anyone have any idea what I can do and if I'll still have a chance to get on the course or not?

Thanks xx
    http://courses.wlv.ac.uk/course.asp?code=EH001H34UVD and https://www.cardiffmet.ac.uk/study/a...uirements.aspx seem pretty clear about requiring a C grade.

The GCSE minimum requirements are generally stuck to because even with a degree many jobs will reject you if you don't have a C in GCSE Maths.

Have you looked at/used the help available on TSR. The Maths forum is one of the busiest on the site with a whole bunch of incredibly gifted mathematicians who are willing to help anyone who is willing to put the effort in.

Also looking at https://www.cardiffmet.ac.uk/study/a...y-Testing.aspx this might be worth looking into - it could be a way to get an extra attempt in on your resits over the summer

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.