Size:  334.1 KB
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
    Name:  pHYSICS ii.png
Views: 117
    What have you tried so far? What do you think you could do/try?

ReputationRep:
    I think the answer is 3000 N

ReputationRep:
    So you know that F=M * A, so if you have been given the mass of car and caravan, just minus the mass of the car to find the mass of the caravan. Then you have been given the deceleration so just times 1000 (the mass of the caravan) by 3 (deceleration) which is 3000 N so you were right. I am a bit confused however why the deceleration wouldn't be converted to minus when put in the calculation as acceleration! if you need more help just watch this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GYx...E3947A&index=1
    Literally it has saved my life!

ReputationRep:
    3000N ??
    1. i first subtracted the mass of the caravan and car which is 1000kg
    2. i used the formula force = mass x acceleration
    -> force = 1000kg x 3 m/s^2 making the answer 3000N

i could be wrong tho lol

ReputationRep:
    Treat as one single body. If the deceleration with the caravan attached is 3m/s2, then that's the deceleration of the whole combined body (car plus caravan - assuming the tow bar isn't stretchy!)

F(resultant)=ma
    =2000 x 3
    =6000N to decelerate both.

But we know the car is already providing 4000N. So the caravan is contributing 2000N of braking force.

The trick to questions like this is to define your 'body.'

Hope that helps.

(p.s. it gets a little complicated to treat the caravan separately, because there are forces from the car acting upon it which would need calculating. Although it's possible to do it this way, It is best to treat both as a single decelerating system.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.