Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is something which I have been struggling find a definite answer for. League tables seem to fluctuate too much and the number of criteria that add up to give the score is just stupid. So I figured going by employment figures, starting salaries and typical offers might be better. Bristol's typical AAA offer is 2 grades below what universities such as Manchester ask for, and 1 grade below the likes of Warwick. Is there really such a difference between these universities? From what I've read the average starting salary is 25,000 which is high for physics courses, and employment rates 6 months after graduation hover around 90% which is also good.

Where then does the gap in the offer requirements come from? Are Durham/Bath graduates with say, a 2:1 more favourably looked upon than Bristol graduates with the same grades? Bristol are also the only uni to give me a reduced offer due to the ranking of the college I go to. Why is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickel_w)
    This is something which I have been struggling find a definite answer for. League tables seem to fluctuate too much and the number of criteria that add up to give the score is just stupid. So I figured going by employment figures, starting salaries and typical offers might be better. Bristol's typical AAA offer is 2 grades below what universities such as Manchester ask for, and 1 grade below the likes of Warwick. Is there really such a difference between these universities? From what I've read the average starting salary is 25,000 which is high for physics courses, and employment rates 6 months after graduation hover around 90% which is also good.

Where then does the gap in the offer requirements come from? Are Durham/Bath graduates with say, a 2:1 more favourably looked upon than Bristol graduates with the same grades? Bristol are also the only uni to give me a reduced offer due to the ranking of the college I go to. Why is this?
    The key word is typical... that is usually the minimum to get an offer from Bristol, it doesn't however mean that all with AAA at A-level actually get an offer, far from it, most have that and considerably more.

Turning now to the second part of your question, you have been given what is described as a contextual offer due to the ranking of your college. Bristol participates in a "wider participation" scheme which seeks to admit students who should academic promise and who may have fallen a little below the typically required tariff.

A Bristol degree will be viewed in the same light as Manchester, Durham, Bath and Warwick. Your individual grades and degree class will have a greater bearing on your initial job prospects than the name/brand of your university when considering the names that you mentioned.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.