Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So I start A levels in September and I wanted to know was when do you do exams. So for gcses you do them all at the end of year 11 but for college do you do it at the end of the first year and second year etc. Please help. Also for A level maths what is it like in spec wise like core 1 core 2 etc and can you explain it and how gcse spec might be linked in etc.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.Rahman)
    Hi guys,

So I start A levels in September and I wanted to know was when do you do exams. So for gcses you do them all at the end of year 11 but for college do you do it at the end of the first year and second year etc. Please help. Also for A level maths what is it like in spec wise like core 1 core 2 etc and can you explain it and how gcse spec might be linked in etc.

Thanks
    Next year you will study 3 or 4 subjects. Some A levels have or are going to have been reformed by the time you start (like me with economics and business), you will do an exam but if you carry this on it won't count towards yout final grade, if you drop it you get an AS grade.
    For subjects that are not reformed then some exams will be done in the first year and some in the second. These all count towards your final grades.

In Core 1 Maths (Depending on your exam board) will include

Indices
    Geometry (Equations of lines, circles and graphs (mostly cubic))
    Algebra (Simultaneous equations, disguised quadratics, completing the square, rearranging)
    Differentiation

Core 2 may include;

Integration
    Algebra (Logarithms, simultaneous equations, binomial expansion)
    Sequences
    Geometry (Exponential and Logarithmic graphs)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.