The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In my opinion you are free to do what you want to to make you happy but sleeping around is fun for a while until your reputation gets ruined because let's face it we live in a society where everyone is waiting to judge someone
Original post by Anonymous
Genuine question. What's wrong with someone sleeping with a different person every night or getting off with several people on a night out? As long as you're not in a relationship, contracting STD's or getting pregnant, I don't really understand the problem in society with someone just having fun (and being safe).

I realise not many people actually do this, I don't think I could do this purely because we've always sort of been told this is wrong and ****gy and immature and people will judge you for it. But why? Just had this thought earlier and can't seem to answer it myself, opinions people??

p.s. goes for guys as well as girls

Nothing is wrong with it.

If you don't subscribe to evolutionary psychology you should stop here.

I think it's developed from long ago when early humans engaged in couitous and usually the females would sleep with many men to so as to get the best sperm to impregnate her.
The males on the other hand often tried their best to spread their seed by "mating" with as much females as possible but often times it was the same set of males that were successful. So when humanity became organised and much more social, it's easy to see how men would want to "slut shame" women. That way, more men would be successful in the long run.
This ofcourse all happens subconsciously and people aren't actively thinking about things like this when slut shaming.
Ain't nothing wrong with it I suppose but good luck finding someone who really wants to be with ya!
Original post by 0to100
So you're just gonna run away from the conversation in the other thread then? Mature.

"Run away" what you said was really ignorant and I can't be bothered to waste my time on a debate with you
Reply 44
Nothing, technically.
But you have to understand, from a biological standpoint, it is sub-optimal behaviour. I think intuitively most people are inclined to feel negatively about female promiscuity as it is optimal for a female to secure a stable mate, due to the possibility, and, indeed, likelihood as far as our insufficiently developed minds can instinctively tell, (obviously evolution has not accounted for contraception) of pregnancy. Many people can use the great tool of rational thought we've developed to see past this gut reaction, but some people don't like to reason things out and prefer to go with "oh, it seems wrong to me on some level, therefore it's wrong!"
Reply 45
i honestly dont know. for men it is considered an achievement to sleep with multiple women at once

Exactly. I think it's mainly religious people that are against it

Posted from TSR Mobile
One you think about it, there is nothing wrong with it, and why should there be? It's their body and their decisions so why should we concern ourselves with what they do?

I mean, it's wrong to call out people on their colour, gender or religion, why is it any different to call people out on how sexually active they are? Their life, their decisions.

EDIT: I've also just seen a lot of people talk about how it's considered bad in their religion, which can be the case, but that also does not give you the right to look down on someone else because they themselves may not even follow your religion/culture.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Nothing, technically.
But you have to understand, from a biological standpoint, it is sub-optimal behaviour. I think intuitively most people are inclined to feel negatively about female promiscuity as it is optimal for a female to secure a stable mate, due to the possibility, and, indeed, likelihood as far as our insufficiently developed minds can instinctively tell, (obviously evolution has not accounted for contraception) of pregnancy. Many people can use the great tool of rational thought we've developed to see past this gut reaction, but some people don't like to reason things out and prefer to go with "oh, it seems wrong to me on some level, therefore it's wrong!"

This makes zero sense.
Reply 48
Original post by Ras' Al Ghul
This makes zero sense.

It is not well-researched on my part, mainly what I would assume, and I would be very happy to hear a good explanation for it/to be proven wrong. But I'm not sure where your problem lies. I think biological factors drive people very much. Why do we find incest so disgusting, for instance? We on an intuitive level know it is not biologically optimal behaviour. This seems similar.
No man wants a slut for a wife, unless he's a cuck. No man would want a slut for a girlfriend, I know I wouldn't. Their maternal value is much less and if they are unable to maintain relationships because they're sluts then why would anyone want such a woman to settle down and have Children with. Funny how feminists advocate this sort of thing really, and then wonder why men don't respect women when they hand out sex to anyone like candy. Women are probably becoming more polygamous, which leads to the breakdown of society. Why would a man emotional and financially invest in someone, that is a slut?
It's like picking 1 type of candy that has a 10 percent chance of killing you and another that has a 50 percent chance, go for the one that has 10 percent, the non slut(far less likely to cheat on you, divorce you and take any children and half your money).
Reply 50
Original post by theBranicAc
alright then, then if its so natural and normal why does so many people think it is wrong/bad to be a slut

You literally just repeated your previous point in different words mate...
Reply 51
Original post by *Stefan*
You said it is 'simply wrong', which is factual.

But as I said, you just rendered your point of view invalid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You must be fun to have a conversation with...

Human communication is not just about the literal words we speak, it's also about evaluating the context. Everyone else can see that he was just expressing his own viewpoint with him having to explicitly write "This is just my opinion!"
Reply 52
Considering that the first time you have sex with someone is rarely great as partners don't know each other well, I would question the choice to have a different partner every night; friends with benefit seem a better option if you want sex with no string attached. To me, people - men and women - who follow this lifestyle have self-worth issues and mostly do this for validation.

It seems also dangerous to have sex with someone for whom you don't know at least if they're mentally stable. You could have sex with a psycho who will rape you (or worse) or wrongly accuse you of rape...
Reply 53
Original post by offhegoes
You must be fun to have a conversation with...

Human communication is not just about the literal words we speak, it's also about evaluating the context. Everyone else can see that he was just expressing his own viewpoint with him having to explicitly write "This is just my opinion!"

I am... with those who can actually communicate.

Saying that something should be accepted because the majority accept it is not only inherently wrong (unless you condone rape victims being convicted, or women being considered inferior), but hardly qualifies as an opinion.

So yeah.
Imo there's nothing wrong with the act itself. It just screams issues when people have a load of past partners, usually self esteem and self worth issues like someone else said. Simply put, they tend to be begs and i don't want anything to do with that.

Then there's the fact that the higher the number of sexual partners, the higher risk of divorce.

tl:dr i find it unattractive and many other people do to, hence why they frown upon it
Reply 55
Original post by *Stefan*
I am... with those who can actually communicate.

Saying that something should be accepted because the majority accept it is not only inherently wrong (unless you condone rape victims being convicted, or women being considered inferior), but hardly qualifies as an opinion.

So yeah.

Hardly counts as an opinion, despite clearly meeting the criteria for being described as an opinion?

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/opinion

So you're jumping on someone else for failing to adhere to your strict policy of including a disclaimer when stating an opinion, yet also refusing to recognise something as an opinion because you don't agree with it and it isn't a fact, ignoring the fact that it is an opinion?

Pick a side, for heaven's sake.
Reply 56
Original post by offhegoes
Hardly counts as an opinion, despite clearly meeting the criteria for being described as an opinion?

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/opinion

So you're jumping on someone else for failing to adhere to your strict policy of including a disclaimer when stating an opinion, yet also refusing to recognise something as an opinion because you don't agree with it and it isn't a fact, ignoring the fact that it is an opinion?

Pick a side, for heaven's sake.

Here we go again, the 'opinion' facade. For when one cannot accept the futility and silliness of their statement, it's an 'opinion' and thus need not be explained.

Whatever floats your boat. No argument here.
Reply 57
I believe sex is a thing that should only be done with a partner after you've become close and it's more special, I wouldn't really want to be with someone who doesn't care about sex and thinks it's nothing. But that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.

People probably look down on it as they couldn't be one themselves so theres a hint of jealousy maybe
Whats wrong with it? Its degeneracy.
It's haram and utterly disgustingly. Asstaghfirullah-Innallaha-ghafururraheem.

There is literally no justification for why it's disgusting. You should look at yourself before judging others aidlgodmrkkw-inhljr-alfyosmfsak

Latest

Trending

Trending