Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    US aid was or was not crucial to the British campaign?
    Can I ask? Just what would Germany have gained if they had defeated Britain, either by invasion or by just generally giving them the clout?

ReputationRep:
    very similar oppression to Alqaedas aims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Without the Americans, the Battle of Britain would have been lost. Fact. Or was that not crucial, too?
    Without the Americans, the Battle of Britain would have ended exactly the same. Britain would have been hard pressed, and then Germany would have still changed from bombing airfields to bombing London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    That's not really relevant. The point is they invested huge resources in order to keep Britain in the war. The political mood of the time meant that FDR couldn't get involved without a good reason (which Pearl Harbor provided), but he did pretty much everything else which he could. It is wrong to dismiss these efforts, not only because they kept Britain in the war but also because they involved the deaths of American sailors.
    yes the lend lease act, the Alantic Charter, the gift of 50 destroyer in exchange for loans on bases like diego garica are all testimony to that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    US aid was or was not crucial to the British campaign?
    US aid was only really crucial to the british offensive campaign...the british could not have "won" the war without them, but the americans were not crucial to the campaign to defend britain from invasion which was practically impossible after the battle of britain and highly unlikely after operation barbarossa was launched.

ReputationRep:
    america should police the world, they have the power and the will to except they just don't know how ¬_¬

however religion is bad in that it gives people the excuse to kill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Can I ask? Just what would Germany have gained if they had defeated Britain, either by invasion or by just generally giving them the clout?
    im not a historian, it would wrong to predict. but i can imagine the US would have made a concerted effort to beat Hitler, if only for Britain to regain her sovreignity. its possible that the lowlands and France would have been accorded to the Reich.

ReputationRep:
    If America didn't get involved in foreign policy we would be speaking German right about now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masonne)
    US aid was only really crucial to the british offensive campaign...the british could not have "won" the war without them, but the americans were not crucial to the campaign to defend britain from invasion which was practically impossible after the battle of britain and highly unlikely after operation barbarossa was launched.
    Thankyou. Operation Barbarossa was the invasion of Russia by Germany June 22 1941 for those who may be unaware. (Not trying to be sarcastic at all) Well done Masonne

ReputationRep:
    "what if" history, altho fun has little point, IMO, events are influenced by such a huge range of factors that changing one doesnt not necessarily cause the oposite event to occur.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Without the Americans, the Battle of Britain would have been lost. Fact. Or was that not crucial, too?
    Not really. The Battle of britain was won through various factors, radar included....nothing to do with the americans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Thankyou. Operation Barbarossa was the invasion of Russia by Germany June 22 1941 for those who may be unaware. (Not trying to be sarcastic at all) Well done Masonne
    thanking you, sorry i should have included that, as a history student i forget others often dont know what im talking about (actually i dont know what im talking about half the time )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    "what if" history, altho fun has little point, IMO, events are influenced by such a huge range of factors that changing one doesnt not necessarily cause the oposite event to occur.
    unless it was a major contributing factor :/

ReputationRep:
    When we went back into France... nearly half of the troups that stormed the beach were American.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
    If America didn't get involved in foreign policy we would be speaking German right about now.
    Rubbish. Go read about Hitler please. He was a deluded twit who, not unlike America, believed communism to be a new curse to the world. He was always going to have a go at Russia, and he never had a chance in hell of succeeding with his plan of total destruction of Russia. Sure he could have forced Russia to sue for peace if he'd just decided not to be greedy and keep the several thousand square miles he had taken. Just advance another 50-100 miles past the Volga and give Stalin his terms. But that isn't what he wanted, and thus he signed his own death warrant. Your statement is entirely false.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)
    Why Do Muslims Kill ppl in the name of god?

Why Does G.W.Bush kill ppl in the name of Freedom and "Good Life", All over the world?
    Both are valid questions that should be looked at in the media. However I do believe that the first question should read

Why do some muslims kill people in the name of god.

In all fairness I don't think Bush goes out there and says I am going to kill people in the name of freesom ect. It just happens that people die in his fight. I do think that he should be held atleast partly responsible for all the deaths that have been the result of American action under his rule. However I don't think he wanted to kill people it wasn't his main intention.

ReputationRep:
    When we went back into France... nearly half of the troups that stormed the beach were American.
    Yeah, and it was quite unnecessary. Thousands died because of a mistake. The mistake to get back into France.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Both are valid questions that should be looked at in the media. However I do believe that the first question should read

In all fairness I don't think Bush goes out there and says I am going to kill people in the name of freesom ect. It just happens that people die in his fight. I do think that he should be held atleast partly responsible for all the deaths that have been the result of American action under his rule. However I don't think he wanted to kill people it wasn't his main intention.
    perhaps it wasn't freedom of the world, just freedom of america?

ReputationRep:
    This is doubtful. As said before, once operation barbarossa was launched and the battle of britain was won, althought britain was not in a comfortable position, she was relatively safe form invasion, simply because the germans would have found it immensely difficult to invade and the war against the soviet union was in all liklehood unwinnable by the reich.....even if the war had gone even worse for the soviet union the number of troops needed to keep such a vast landmass under control would have meant no soldiers were available for an invasion of britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)

Agreed.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.