• Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    post yours so others can benefit and learn from it
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i have none, im here for the tips :ninja::ninja:

I haven't mastered it myself by any means :rofl: but here are some things I think would work in theory.

1. With coursework, start as soon as possible and aim to proofread/finish everything a day or two before the deadline. Trying to get stuff done in the last minute will impact the quality of what you're writing very much. If you know coursework is going to be set for a particular module, focus your studies on that.

2. Work throughout the semester. Don't get too caught up and pull all nighters from day 1, and don't pull them on the last day either unless you're extremely desperate - sleep is usually more important.

3. Make sure you're familiar with your module as you're studying and know what is expected of you. If you know that possible essay questions are going to come up, make notes for them. I had one module like that and just went over the notes on the day to put them in my short term memory, and it paid off. :yep: and look at past papers while you're studying just to get an idea of what you need to pay attention to. Also, do all of the past papers/homeworks etc - don't ignore any!

4. But don't lose sight of the big picture - it's not just studying that is important at uni, but what else you achieve, and you need to be having fun and enjoying life if you're to succed, not only in your degree but in life.

ReputationRep:
    Start off with a subject you enjoy and are passionate about.

Take on board all feedback and continuously improve!!!

Read read and read!

ReputationRep:
    Attention to detail. Things which feel small and insignificant can mean bumping up your percentages.

- Referencing. A pain in the butt to master, but a properly-formatted bibliography can reduce a lecturer to a blubbing mess of grateful mark-awarding pleasure (sort of...)

- Presentation. Make your work look neat. Lay it out nicely, use page numbers, spellcheck it, caption any figures/tables/pictures etc and number them as well (then make sure you refer to them in the text using that number). Even if it's a stinking pile of hooey, if it looks good when a lecturer first picks it up, they will approach it in a more positive frame of mind. They might be searching for positives rather than expecting to penalise you. It can help your work look better than work where the author hasn't bothered. I set aside a day before printing just to check the presentation. Points mean prizes.

ReputationRep:
    Take STEM subjects...higher proportion of firsts, especially Maths
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Take STEM subjects...higher proportion of firsts, especially Maths
    *sobs*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I second the referencing tip! Being able to reference properly is so important in getting a 1st or 2:1, and will make lecturers love you.

Also reading as widely as you can, use the reading lists that lecturers provide and use them for your coursework, even if what you're saying is a bit poo backing it up with academic work always makes it sound better . A strong argument is one with lots of (good and appropriate) sources.

ReputationRep:
    Don't assume the work you do in your first year is any less important than that of your later years - it all counts towards our final mark !

Reference every fact you state properly !

Back up every statement with fact !

Get hold of the past papers in your subject. Lecturers re-use old exam questions and you can often spot which questions repeat and which are likely to re-appear in your exam year !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoctorDC)
    Don't assume the work you do in your first year is any less important than that of your later years - it all counts towards our final mark !
    It depends on the course. Many do not include first year marks in the final degree classification. In my current department, the split between grade contributions over a three year course is 0:40:60.

Reading the course handbook to find out that type of detail, would be a good idea for all students.

ReputationRep:
    Do loads of work, never do an "all nighter", aim for 100%, be sensible and you'll be fine

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.