Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting the planning process of my EPQ. I've come up with some ideas/concepts/questions around child development and was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback, and if possible knows of any good sources (videos, web pages, books, anything relatable!!) that I could use my ideas:
    The effects of divorce on a child's development
    The effects of learning disabilities (autism, speech impediments etc) on a child's development
    The effects on technology on child development (considering narrowing this further to tv/internet)

Any more ideas are welcomed and feedback on ideas would be wonderful

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katieallenn)
    I'm starting the planning process of my EPQ. I've come up with some ideas/concepts/questions around child development and was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback, and if possible knows of any good sources (videos, web pages, books, anything relatable!!) that I could use my ideas:
    The effects of learning disabilities (autism, speech impediments etc) on a child's development
    The effects on technology on child development (considering narrowing this further to tv/internet)

Thank you
    Assuming your an a level student, you can use google scholar to find research papers on the topic, however these are usually behind paywalls. You can only get through these pay walls using proxy sites (e.g. sci-hub), however you shouldn't use them as it is naughty!

On your questions, they are actually quite good, i'd probably try to be a bit more precise once you've done some reading on the topic (e.g. for question 3: you could narrow this down to a specific technology such as video games and focus on some specific outcomes such as aggression/anti-social behaviour).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katieallenn)

Thank you
    I recommend using Medline/Pubmed search engines which have loads of journals published from reputable sources.

I put one of your titles into here and got back with some interesting journals!
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?...nt+and+divorce

Most journal titles won't be exactly what you're looking for, but be sure to look through them as they'd still have stuff relevant to your topic. The more sources you use and the more creatively/constructively you use them gains you more marks in the end.

I'd also recommend picking a topic with loads of research already done around it (unless you have a favourite topic/direction you really want to research) - this makes the write up much easier and allows you to easily justify/argue against any points you make in your discussion.

'The effects of divorce on a child's development' is a nice place to start as it's a broad subject. Maybe you can do more research and narrow down the question?

'The effects of learning disabilities on a child's development' sounds really interesting because you can compare the effects of different disabilities and there is bound to be loads of research on each disability.

'The effects on technology on child development' sounds great but I'm not sure whether there has been many studies or published journals around the subject. There seems to be a lot of (news) articles online. Maybe some of them quote scientific studies/journals that you could use?

Also, according to google 'child development refers to the biological, psychological and emotional changes' - so what part of development are you focusing on? Or do you want to talk about all of them in relation to a stimulus (e.g. divorce). Maybe compare how each changes with different stimuli?

A few suggestions:
    - The effect of child development on (separated) twins
    - The effect of child development in children of different socioeconomic backgrounds (maybe comparing physiological, physical and emotional development)
    - The effect of bad parenting on child development
    - The effect of child development in orphans

Hope this was helpful, best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tazmain)
    I recommend using Medline/Pubmed search engines which have loads of journals published from reputable sources.

I put one of your titles into here and got back with some interesting journals!
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?...nt+and+divorce

Most journal titles won't be exactly what you're looking for, but be sure to look through them as they'd still have stuff relevant to your topic. The more sources you use and the more creatively/constructively you use them gains you more marks in the end.

I'd also recommend picking a topic with loads of research already done around it (unless you have a favourite topic/direction you really want to research) - this makes the write up much easier and allows you to easily justify/argue against any points you make in your discussion.

'The effects of divorce on a child's development' is a nice place to start as it's a broad subject. Maybe you can do more research and narrow down the question?

'The effects of learning disabilities on a child's development' sounds really interesting because you can compare the effects of different disabilities and there is bound to be loads of research on each disability.

'The effects on technology on child development' sounds great but I'm not sure whether there has been many studies or published journals around the subject. There seems to be a lot of (news) articles online. Maybe some of them quote scientific studies/journals that you could use?

Also, according to google 'child development refers to the biological, psychological and emotional changes' - so what part of development are you focusing on? Or do you want to talk about all of them in relation to a stimulus (e.g. divorce). Maybe compare how each changes with different stimuli?

A few suggestions:
    - The effect of child development on (separated) twins
    - The effect of child development in children of different socioeconomic backgrounds (maybe comparing physiological, physical and emotional development)
    - The effect of bad parenting on child development
    - The effect of child development in orphans

Hope this was helpful, best of luck!
    thank you so much!!! that is extremely useful, especially the search engines!!! I'll definitey be using them!! thank you again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.