Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As a mature student (male in late twenties) i recently finished my GCSEs in English and Maths, now for the next course?...i don't know!....it's so difficult to make a decision! 🤔

I was interested in BTECs and my college offers two i might be interested in ....one in Business and one in IT (level 3), i have no previous experience with either. Having no previous experience i have no idea which one will take my interest? I filled out an online application form to enrol on the Business course yesterday but already i'm questioning if i made the right choice?

Which offers the better job prospects? The Business diploma seems like quite a broad topic, maybe there will be transferable skills options in alternative careers with it? The IT course seems more specialized, more focused on the one profession....

My fear is i set up a student loan, start a particular BTEC course then hate it!.....which of the courses is an average person typically more likely to enjoy? One day i think i should do Business and other times IT? Then the otherday it was AAT Accounting! Lol.

Any opinions and advice would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! 🙂

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people I know are doing a BTEC course in business and they have it pretty easy. I have no idea about IT but I think it will require a lot more work than bussiness. It kind of also depends on what level you're doing. I guess, level 4/5? From what I've heard the bussiness course is very flexible and you don't need to give up everything else for it, haha. If you're just doing it because you want a nicer job then I'd say go with bussiness. I'd only recommend IT if you're really interested in it. Again, it will probably require more time and effort. I'm looking into doing a BTEC in bussiness myself. You could do a BTEC in bussiness and a year in university to get a degree and that will open your job options even more. You can talk to one of my friends if youre interested in business but I can't give you much information about IT. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayce.x)
    A lot of people I know are doing a BTEC course in business and they have it pretty easy. I have no idea about IT but I think it will require a lot more work than bussiness. It kind of also depends on what level you're doing. I guess, level 4/5? From what I've heard the bussiness course is very flexible and you don't need to give up everything else for it, haha. If you're just doing it because you want a nicer job then I'd say go with bussiness. I'd only recommend IT if you're really interested in it. Again, it will probably require more time and effort. I'm looking into doing a BTEC in bussiness myself. You could do a BTEC in bussiness and a year in university to get a degree and that will open your job options even more. You can talk to one of my friends if youre interested in business but I can't give you much information about IT. Sorry.
    Thanks for your advice, exactly what i was looking for! 🙂 Yeah it looks like the Business diploma (level 3) would be more flexable in regards to further options, IT would be more set in stone and therefore would need a passion for it. I was hoping if i did well in either course i could move on to a degree, it's just making sure you pick the right course! But from what you say it makes alot more sense to choose the BTEC Business Diploma.

Thanks again. 🙂

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.