Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So my head of Sixth Form usually does the reference for our UCAS forms, but.. let's just say he's had issues with people in my family and I feel he holds that against me/expects me to behave and be the same.

My older brother applied to Cardiff for history and got his old history teacher to write his reference. I was wondering if that would be possible for me, like could I just go up to a teacher and ask them to write my reference? Coz I feel one of the teachers who's taught me for a few years is more qualified to comment on my character than my head of Sixth Form who has spoken to me literally maybe twice in four years.

So how does the referee thing work? Does that guy have to write mine? Or is it up to me?

ReputationRep:
    Any teacher can write your reference, I believe. Or at least, that is how it works at my sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombie)
    So my head of Sixth Form usually does the reference for our UCAS forms, but.. let's just say he's had issues with people in my family and I feel he holds that against me/expects me to behave and be the same.

My older brother applied to Cardiff for history and got his old history teacher to write his reference. I was wondering if that would be possible for me, like could I just go up to a teacher and ask them to write my reference? Coz I feel one of the teachers who's taught me for a few years is more qualified to comment on my character than my head of Sixth Form who has spoken to me literally maybe twice in four years.

So how does the referee thing work? Does that guy have to write mine? Or is it up to me?
    It is up to you who you ask to write your reference. Plus the person you choose to write it has to show you first before it is sent of to UCAS or anywhere else. You then can accept it or reject it. Thats what i did my tutor wrote mine and she was so positive. She let me see it before it got send off. Plus you send the UCAS forms so even if you don't like it just ask someone else to write one. Differences in the past shouldnt be an issue and if he makes them out to be then hes not being professional.

ReputationRep:

it doesnt have to be your head of 6th form. one of your teacher or your form tutor is alright.. if you think your head is gonna say bad things bout you then dont use him.

ReputationRep:
    For ours, we had to give a blue form to each teacher we have (in my case 7) and they write our references and give us a predicited grade. Then the forms get passed on to our form tutor who combines them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    For ours, we had to give a blue form to each teacher we have (in my case 7) and they write our references and give us a predicited grade. Then the forms get passed on to our form tutor who combines them.
    Lol, I don't think my school is quite that organised but it's reasuring to know I can choose who writes my reference. I mean, I know this guy wouldn't write anything uberbad or anything, but I need all the help I can get applying to study medicine.

ReputationRep:

I got my physics teacher to by one of my referees instead of my head of year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    That's the same as at my sixth form, except our reference request forms are red

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can write it. I think your idea is good, get someone who knows you well to do it. Just remember to ask nicely

ReputationRep:
    It's definetly a good idea to get your subject teacher to write your reference, it's likely your head of Sixth form doesn't know you too well (after all, how often do you see them?)

I made the mistake of letting my tutor write my reference last year, he based it on predicted grades and a generic template (the two weekly fifthteen-minute tutor groups were hardly enough to judge my character).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vyse)
    It's definetly a good idea to get your subject teacher to write your reference, it's likely your head of Sixth form doesn't know you too well (after all, how often do you see them?)
    Yeah sounds good to me, if you use the tutor of the subject you're applying for they will probably be very enthusiastic about you. I have heard some people say it's best to get your reference done from the highest ranking person at your school (ie the headteacher), though as they are pretty unlikely to know you a good compramise is to get your subject tutors to write it and your head to put his/her name down as the referee.

ReputationRep:
    Apparantly my retiring headteacher's references were so good that they decided a few people's university places.

But that could be hearsay.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard similar things about my geography teacher. Problem is he's just retired! :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.