Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am really not sure which university to go to - I'm split between Bristol and Nottingham. So I'd love to find out more about the courses than what is on the (kind of crap) course explanations on their websites.

I'd love to know about the creative writing opportunities in the course? Like, I know that Nottingham has that option, but does Bristol have a similar system where I could dedicate some of my course towards creative writing??

Also, can somebody pleeease tell me whether Bristol or Nottingham's courses have anything to do with practical Drama? If so, that would be a major factor in where I choose to go!

And, I guess as a closing kind of point, any information about what student life is like at either uni would also be greatly appreciated :')

Thanks in advance!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by EmzSwiggle)
    Hey guys,

I am really not sure which university to go to - I'm split between Bristol and Nottingham. So I'd love to find out more about the courses than what is on the (kind of crap) course explanations on their websites.

I'd love to know about the creative writing opportunities in the course? Like, I know that Nottingham has that option, but does Bristol have a similar system where I could dedicate some of my course towards creative writing??

Also, can somebody pleeease tell me whether Bristol or Nottingham's courses have anything to do with practical Drama? If so, that would be a major factor in where I choose to go!

And, I guess as a closing kind of point, any information about what student life is like at either uni would also be greatly appreciated :'

Thanks in advance!!
    You can find the structure of the Nottingham English degree (and a complete list of modules) here: https://workspace.nottingham.ac.uk/d...reofyourDegree I briefly glanced at the structure and I saw some drama modules.

You can find the Bristol degree structure here: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/english/stu...rse-structure/ There is a link to view the full range of modules there too.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I'm actually currently in the exact same situation as you were last year - torn between Bristol and Nottingham for English Lit!

I was just wondering if you could give me some advice about the decision. Which one did you choose? Are you happy with the decision?

For whichever uni you're at - are there creative writing opportunities? Are the lecturers approachable and engaging? What are the seminars like?

And, what's student life like? What's the city like? What about the general atmosphere?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions - I'm trying to find out as much as possible!

Thank you in advance for any response!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __Grace)
    Hi there!

I'm actually currently in the exact same situation as you were last year - torn between Bristol and Nottingham for English Lit!

I was just wondering if you could give me some advice about the decision. Which one did you choose? Are you happy with the decision?

For whichever uni you're at - are there creative writing opportunities? Are the lecturers approachable and engaging? What are the seminars like?

And, what's student life like? What's the city like? What about the general atmosphere?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions - I'm trying to find out as much as possible!

Thank you in advance for any response!
    Aaaah, well, funny story...

I ended up not choosing either, in the end! This is because I discovered that Leeds was a lot more suited to everything I wanted, a thing I discovered on an Applicant's Visit Day!

However, I did gather information relating to your questions - I know that both universities have a pretty wide variety of writing opportunities outside of the classroom. Bristol had a cute poetry pamphlet thing that students put out every month, for example! As for the course, you can do creative writing as a course option at Nottingham, as well as a drama module (not so certain about Bristol.)

Nottingham, I must admit, really didn't do it for me - BUT people I know love it! It was mainly due to the English teacher that gave the introduction talk being SO SO boring. Like, me and my mum literally snuck out before the end as we were falling asleep :')

The Bristol teachers were a lot more engaging and I absolutely loved every student I met - they were all on my level and didn't make me feel **** (because I'm smart when it comes to essays and school but am socially so scatty I sound stupid hahaha!!) Bristol is also the most amazing student city, I promise. It's so so lovely, I wish I could live there honestly... There is this amazing port with cute cafes and a cheap cinema there I think called the Waterfront or something. Loads of concert venues too, if that's your thing! And it's just all so pretty and you can get everywhere so quickly - I have such a soft spot for Bristol as a city! But, my issue was that lecturers seem to not care as much about you? You're kind of left to your own devices - which I am fine with, but it's nice to know the support is there if you need it?

I didn't end up going to either as I visited Leeds and found every lecture so engaging and the lecturers themselves were all obviously so invested in helping students - one teacher is such a hippie, he literally wears socks and sandals and regularly says 'groovy.' Also they have these discovery modules so you can do creative writing (yay!!!) as well as literally anything ever I literally did Korean and now want to go there for my year abroad???

Uni is crazy, you have so many opportunities no matter where you go!

but HONESTLY!!!!! PLEASE VISIT EVERYWHERE YOU APPLY!!!! One person's opinion might not reflect how you'll feel visiting! And if a teacher is boring or the vibe is wrong you honestly can tell immediately - like, I visited Birmingham as I had an unconditional and just thought I'd put it as my insurance but I absolutely hated it and it was the first uni I was sure I wanted to write off!

....... Sorry if this isn't specific, like, at all... But I hope you visit everywhere and choose the perfect place for yourself!

Good luck,
    Emily

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your response! You've honestly been so helpful

I hope you continue to have a fab time at Leeds!

Grace

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.